chalk to adjust mash pH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chalk to adjust mash pH

I like to think that I know my water chemistry better than the average bear. I have a cool spreadsheet and everything. My standard method is to treat my water with some combination of gypsum and calcium chloride so that I get a mash pH of 5.2-5.6. This almost always works (like I say, I have a cool spreadsheet) but when it doesn't, I add lactic acid to lower pH or chalk to raise it. Yesterday, it was too low so I added chalk to the mash but it had barely any effect! My guess is that it just wasn't very soluble. Is there a way to get it to dissolve or is there something else I can add instead to raise mash pH?

Ca(OH)2 - Calcium hydroxide works quite well to raise mash ph.

Calcium carbonate is nearly insoluble at mash pH. That being said, however, I have been know to use it with the incoming grist to the mash mixer, where it can't 'sit down' and stays up in the body of the mash. I find it particularly useful in stouts and porters. I find it positively augments the roast character and adds a certain 'grainy' character.

Pax.

Liam
    Liam McKenna
    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

CaOH

Isn't CaOH a stong base? How much do you use and what type? I have never seen food grade CaOH. OH- ions

Comment

Isn't this also known as slaked lime? Anyone have a supplier for it?

Comment

I want to restart this thread. I would like to know more about it, calcium Hydroxide in particular. Also what forms I can get it in.

Comment

Ca(OH)2 - calcium hydroxide.

Raises mash pH dramatically. Also increases calcium. Hydroxide ion disappears into the aqueous mixture.

Try Univar for supply. Google them for a website. They are a huge company. If they can't source it for you (doubtful that they can't), they'll suggest someone.

It must be food grade and you 'll want to see typical analysis sheet to identify/quantify any other mineral contaminants (ie metal ions).

Pax.

Liam McKenna
            Liam McKenna
            www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

I contact univar, but in the meantime you can get it here:

Comment

Working...
              X