Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dried Yeast Sample Contaminated

Hello Guys!

We did some NBB-B testing for common spoiling bacteria in a dried sample of a famous yeast and the results were positive!

I have read that there are some tiny amounts of wild yeasts according to the manufacturer specifications.

My question is..

Is this something common in the brewing industry?

Should I use this yeast?

Originally posted by Ale_Guy View Post
    Hello Guys!

We did some NBB-B testing for common spoiling bacteria in a dried sample of a famous yeast and the results were positive!

I have read that there are some tiny amounts of wild yeasts according to the manufacturer specifications.

My question is..

Is this something common in the brewing industry?

Should I use this yeast?
    Hi,

We saw positive NBB-B results all the time:
    - paa in 30l bucket
    - pasteurise with 80C water
    - let it cool down
    - take atp reading from bucket which was 0 from time to time we got a 1.
    - rehydrate dry yeast
    - yeast sample incubated on lysine agar and nbb b tube

Lysine was always 0cfu but nbb b was positive most of the time.

I talked to Doehler about this and they said that the slight contamination in dry yeast might not come to the surface in a brewery fermentation but in a lab environment and an enrichment medium designed to grow beer spoilers, this one bacteria cell in a gram of dry yeast would show.

Since we have ccts and can harvest (started with a liquid culture) we have not seen any colour change in our nbb b and we are on our 8th generation.

With dry yeast we fresh pitched every time but knowing about this contamination I would not repitch dry yeast more than a few times. I know a lot of brewers do but I would not.

I hope that helps.

Edit: we never had infection issues with dry yeast

Matthias
    Last edited by MatthiasS; 12-24-2017, 03:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
    X