Sparge rate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparge rate

Hello all, we are a new brewery still learning our 20 hectoliter brewhouse. We are trying to dial in our lauter tun. Our system allows us to control the rate at which we sparge but we aren’t sure what’s optimal?

Is there a target rate one should be shooting for? Or is it variable depending on the brew?

Right now we are sparging at 20L/min(what the system was pre programmed at). We sparge in 3 batches.

1st sparge to a preset volume and then rest until we see the top of the grain bed start to protrude above the waterline and then start the 2nd sparge addition, and then repeat the process a 3rd time.

After the 3rd addition we runoff until we reach target grav. Or kettle full volume. (Still dialing in our efficiency)

As somebody new to brewing can you give me some feedback on this process?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your sparge rate should be enough to put 1-2 inches of water above the bed, if your able to maintain it. I do a continuous sparge though, and start low at 8-10 LPM and then progress to 15-16 LPM after 20 minutes. That was how I had to do it for my own system though, as my system drops my flow rate as the tank empties without compensating. DME died right before they could program my controller console. If your total water volume matches your math then you should be mostly good. Check your extraction and wort quality before you change your process too much though.

Comment

Originally posted by lowfisherman View Post
      Hello all, we are a new brewery still learning our 20 hectoliter brewhouse. We are trying to dial in our lauter tun. Our system allows us to control the rate at which we sparge but we aren’t sure what’s optimal?

Is there a target rate one should be shooting for? Or is it variable depending on the brew?

Right now we are sparging at 20L/min(what the system was pre programmed at). We sparge in 3 batches.

1st sparge to a preset volume and then rest until we see the top of the grain bed start to protrude above the waterline and then start the 2nd sparge addition, and then repeat the process a 3rd time.

After the 3rd addition we runoff until we reach target grav. Or kettle full volume. (Still dialing in our efficiency)

As somebody new to brewing can you give me some feedback on this process?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      So both the methods the fly sparge and the batch sparge should be alright. But it also depends on your run off. If the control is based off the run off and the sparge I think you'd be good to go.
      I , myself use batch sparging and split it it 4 parts depending on the beer I'm brewing. Always sparging as soon as I see the bed and keep it constant that way.
      As long as you have a constant drop in gravity and no sudden fluctuations during the lautering.

Sent from my GM1901 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X