party gyle stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• party gyle stuff

Im going to attempt my first ever party gyle next week.
    (Party in My Pants Mild).
    Just looking for any general advice, tips, etc.

I plan to use my regular pale ale that does 14 bbls and pull just 7 for an imperial pale. The remainder will be used for a mild of some sort. I may stop the Imp pale at 6 bbls if I think the gravity is getting too low to start the next batch, but Im not sure what that is. I run at about 78% effeciency. I thought I could also mash in another 1-2 bags of pale if needed but dont know of any negative effects that might have. I just hate to find out the hard way.

Any idas are appreciated.

Cheers!
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

I don't know much about the subject, but I remember seeing something a while back in Zymurgy that said 60% of your Gravity Units (Daniel's terminology) comes from the first mash, and 40% of your GUs come from the second.

If you're doing a continuous sparge, then I know even less.

Comment

Could always dose the mild with DME or and sugar to bump it up if you wanted....

Comment

Frank,

We've done this one two occassions in our short existence, with two sets of results.

Our first attempt was off the second runnings of our Winter Warmer, Old Bat Rastard (OG on that one was 21.8P). We pulled 6 barrels of the OBR, then 10 barrels of Two Timer, an English Bitter at 10.4P. In retrospect, we tried to pull too much off the second runnings, and did end up extracting too much tannins. People either hate this beer or love it - which is probably fairly indicitive of the style - but technically speaking this is probably our most "off" beer (though I still find it rather tasty).

We tried again on the second runnings of La Muerta, our imperial stout that had an OG of 23.8P. We pulled about 5.5 barrels of first runnings, and 6 of what become 4Shadow, a Belgian Smoked Stout at 15.5P. 4Shadow turned out rich, flavorful and delicious. We did add a little more base malt to the mash as we were pulling the second runnings on that one.

The main lesson learned is to not get too greedy in pulling that second runnings. Your gravity may be okay, but all those tannins getting sucked in show up down the road.
        Scott Metzger
        Freetail Brewing Co.
        San Antonio, TX

Comment

running gravities

what was the gravity of the runnings (Last of the first batch=Start of the second)

that might give me an idea of where to stop and start.

I got another good resource too, but more info is always good.
          "Uncle" Frank
          Frank Fermino
          Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
          Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
          Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

Promash's Solution to Partygyle Brewing

While I have not personally attempted collecting second runnings, I thought I would share a link I came across. On Promash's website, they reference the linked website, for gathering the necessary equations and information in order to turn around and use Promash to help calculate your gravities. I can not verify any of the information, but I figured I would share it for you to decide what to take from it.

http://promash.com/TipsNTricks/Commo...e_Article.html

Good luck,

James

Comment

Hey Frank - shoot my brewer Jason an email at jason@freetailbrewing.com - just tell him I referred you to him. He can get you all the info you need.

I don't know much about the John Havard's chain - but we got the old 15 bbl Pub System from the closed Wayne, PA location - so if you are using the same system our info could easily translate over.
              Scott Metzger
              Freetail Brewing Co.
              San Antonio, TX

Comment

2nd that

Originally posted by Butcher Scott
                Frank,

The main lesson learned is to not get too greedy in pulling that second runnings. Your gravity may be okay, but all those tannins getting sucked in show up down the road.
                This sums up my experience as well!

Comment

Working...
                X