Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaelicbrew
    replied
    I'd agree with Liam. When we started double batching we pitched enough for two brews and then for each double batch we reduced the amount we pitched until we found that pitching for one batch got us a good fermentation on the double batch

Leave a comment:

• liammckenna
    replied
    If I was 'feeding' an active fermentation like you (2.5 bbl x 4 successive brews), I would pitch for 2.5 bbl and oxygenate only the first brew, perhaps a little on the second, depending on O2 requirements of my yeast strain.

I don't like to oxygenate when there is alcohol significantly present in the ferment.

If it is a really big beer (alc%) remember that you may need to increase your standard pitching rate.

Pax.

Liam

Leave a comment:

• Nugget
    replied
    But the yeast bill would be for the total 10hl or only 2,5hl?

If the first batch acts like a starter, I only need yeast for the first 2,5hl and not for the following 7,5hl... Is this ok?

Leave a comment:

• liammckenna
    replied
    I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Don't aerate/oxygenate second/third batches etc. .

Liam

Leave a comment:

• Gaelicbrew
    replied
    I often double batch. I only innoculate enough yeast for a single batch if I am doulbing up over two days. The first batch acts as a yeast starter for the second batch. Never have any problems with the final gravity. I don't put any O2 into the second batch.

Leave a comment:

• Nugget
    replied
    Hi,

I have the same problem...

Soon I will have 10hL conical fermenters.

I want to make 4 x 2,5hL brews in two days (2 per day).

Is it safe to pitch 4x the amount of yeast and only aerate the first two brews?

Is this working for all types of beer?

Kind regards,
    Nugget

Leave a comment:

• davet
    replied
    I read the threads about double/triple batches before I made this one, but I couldn't find a lot of information about how long it would still be OK to add fresh wort into actively fermenting beer.

We usually double batch on consecutive days, so 2 batches in 24 hours. We have also done double batches on the same day, finishing 2 in about 14-16 hours, but its pretty difficult for us to complete on our current system (no separate whirlpool tank, small capacity HLT).

The issue though is I physically don't have the grain to even brew right now, so I'm faced with 2 batches in 48 hours into the same tank.

Leave a comment:

• South County
    replied
    I know there's another extensive thread on double (even triple) batching, I just cant find it. I would be inclined to just leave it alone, but you've already over pitched, so if you do top off with the second wort volume I def wouldn't aerate it. Either way this batch is most likely going to vary form your standard IPA flavor. For me Id rather have a 14 hr day then brew back to back over two days for the same result, its a much better utilization of time, less chance for infection, etc.
    Last edited by South County; 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mavit
    replied
    2nd brew

Absolutly, go for it. I always do double batches with at least 1-day between, two days between is also ok, don't worry.

Leave a comment:

• davet
    started a topic 2 batch with a day between?

2 batch with a day between?

Howdy all,

I've been successfully double batching (2x 10bbl batches into 20bbl FV) for a while, either doubling up in the same day or 2 consecutive days. However, I brewed a single batch yesterday that went into one of my 20bbl tanks and now I'm stuck without enough grain for the 2nd batch. I have had grain on order since last week and was sure it would be here yesterday or early today, but it still hasn't arrived. So my question:

Is it ok for me to brew tomorrow, effectively giving the first batch 2 full days before adding more wort? I've already double pitched yeast, the beer is fermenting along nicely, and would normally run in the second batch today without o2. This is an IPA, if that matters.

This wouldn't be a huge problem but every other tank I have is full right now and I can't really afford to let a single batch sit alone in one of my double batch tanks.

Thanks for the advice.

Dave
Working...
X