Cleaning Auger Motor Housing and Pipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning Auger Motor Housing and Pipe

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about cleaning the auger motor housing and piping? Obviously we want to avoid residual moisture where it can sit... as well as any non-food-safe chemicals. There is crusted grain dust and I'll be honest... it's really disgusting... not sure the SOP.

Scraper, brushes (wire), damp rags, and lots of elbow grease!

Just don't spray the motor down with water--most of these motors are drip-proof housings, not sealed.

If the pipe is really bad, replace it. The straight parts are just sch. 20 irrigation line, but use the branded sweeps for corners.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I've had good luck with clean, compressed air or clean CO2 at high pressure and a air jet attachment. I recommend blowing down your mill and motor at the end of every brew day to keep dust from building up. You can then wipe with a damp rag to get it do a spit shine on it.
      I'm not sure about the auger tube interior. Other than a damp rag wipe down of everything you can reach, that's pretty much it. Maybe a final wipe down with a mild sanitizer or detergent to keep buggies from growing.
      Best of luck and cheers,
      Greg

Comment

Working...
      X