Measuring CO2 in Kegs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Measuring CO2 in Kegs

I have some kegs I believe are over-carbed. I'd like to be sure, as this may indicate a problem with post-kegging fermentation. I have a Z&N series 1000 volume tester, the Z&N sample bottle & accessories, and the Z&N series 5000 bottle/can air/gas tester. Any thoughts on how to use these to test the CO2 volumes in a keg?
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Originally posted by TGTimm View Post
    I have some kegs I believe are over-carbed. I'd like to be sure, as this may indicate a problem with post-kegging fermentation. I have a Z&N series 1000 volume tester, the Z&N sample bottle & accessories, and the Z&N series 5000 bottle/can air/gas tester. Any thoughts on how to use these to test the CO2 volumes in a keg?
    I would put a perlick style sample valve on the end of a keg coupler and use your Z&N 1000 bottle. See the setup we use below (disassembled).
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Perlick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	190437

If you talk to Mark Hobler at Perlick, he can set you up with the parts you need. By the way, this is the very setup we use to do micro sampling from our kegs as well. You can autoclave the entire setup and then draw aseptic samples from the keg for plating.

Comment

You can also simply wait a day with them not hooked up so they equalize. Then you hook them up to your co2 tank and slowly crank up your regulator until you hear it start to hiss. The pressure it hisses at is your equalizing pressure and you can take that and your temperature look at a chart and get your volumes.

Comment

Working...
      X