Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agar Plating, a thing of the past?

Hey all!

This is my first post in the message board and basically just wanted to know what you people are doing nowadays in your breweries/breweries you work for regarding micro contamination identification.

I am working at newly started production site in Denmark and I am responsible for setting up the quality control practices. I´ve read a bit on the solutions and methods available and it seems to me that plate counts and agar plate screening is still a quite spread practice in the industry. Of course there is PCR in its different variants, but for the time being we are looking into other alternatives...

Having said that, I have also come across new solutions where prefilled sterile test tubes are sold with selective media where one only needs to fill up with a certain volume of beer/wort or yeast slurry. If there is a considerable change in color / turbidity, then that can be interpreted as a positive. Yes, you do not get a quantitative result but at this stage we could easily do with a reliable qualitative test.

What do you guys do out there, plate, PCR, liquid media, both? Highly interested in hearing input.

Cheers,

Manuel

Reach out to Carlsberg Research Group, or White Labs in Copenhagen they should have their "Brewery Contaminants Detection Sample Kit", That's what I use.

Lance

Comment

Thanks. I've found the kit... We already use a media supplier and they have also something similar that I had already looked into but still interesting to hear about what you are using. The CRC are not product suppliers and White Labs just runs a small part of the products that are run generally in the US, but as mentioned before I had found something similar through other channels.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X