Off flavor after kegging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off flavor after kegging

Not sure if this is the right place for this but I've got a problem with an off flavor after sitting in the keg for a week or so.
    I brewed the beer, wort tastes fine. I transfer to FV and after fermentation, the beer tastes fine. I transfer to brite, which is in the cooler, and try multiple samples while in brite, beer tastes fine. (Once in brite, the beer stays 37 or below through kegging and storage) I keg the beer and put on tap and beer tastes fine. Over the next week, the beer starts to take on a smokey flavor. It's like this at the other locations where our beer is served so it's not our tap lines. I thought maybe it was the kegs but after cleaning I took a few apart to check for beer stone or other crud....kegs were squeaky clean, so this tells me our cleaning process is working. I am at a loss and we can't keep dumping beer.

Is it all beers or just certain ones?
    Same question with the kegs. Are you able to identify specific kegs where this is happening or is it all of them?

Smokey can be a phenolic off flavor, so there's a chance that you might have an infection somewhere with a POF+ yeast or bacteria. If it's all beers/kegs, maybe look at your keg filling equipment since the beer seems to be fine up to that point.

Comment

It's not all the beers. Just the last 2 batches of a NEIPA we do and 1 batch of a blonde. These 2 beers are our staples so they have been brewed many times. The rest of our beers seem to be ok or at least have not developed a smokey flavor.

Comment

Working...
      X