Flavor Spikes (Sensory techniques)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flavor Spikes (Sensory techniques)

How to prepare our own flavour spikes? and what is the use of ethanol for increasing solubility and storage? Any calculations/Calculator etc etc...?

Thanks

I wouldn't bother doing it yourself.

Even, (or should it be especially?) the very large breweries I have worked for / with use commercially available spikes nowadays for consistency and ease of use. You don't have to spend time and effort making them up every time you want to run a training session, and are guaranteed consistency flavours every time. And they have a wider range than you would ever likely want to use. I know they seem expensive, but they have a long shelf life if kept properly and save masses of trouble - I know as I used to make a very limited range of spikes a long time ago - long since forgotten any concoction recipes.

One of the key criteria when taste training is to start out "contaminating" a very bland beer, to get people used to the off flavour / smell, and find out if people are blind to certain flavours/smells, then once selected, use your own beers. The commercial suppliers are good at providing advice and support.
    dick

Comment

Originally posted by dick murton View Post
      I wouldn't bother doing it yourself.

Even, (or should it be especially?) the very large breweries I have worked for / with use commercially available spikes nowadays for consistency and ease of use. You don't have to spend time and effort making them up every time you want to run a training session, and are guaranteed consistency flavours every time. And they have a wider range than you would ever likely want to use. I know they seem expensive, but they have a long shelf life if kept properly and save masses of trouble - I know as I used to make a very limited range of spikes a long time ago - long since forgotten any concoction recipes.

One of the key criteria when taste training is to start out "contaminating" a very bland beer, to get people used to the off flavour / smell, and find out if people are blind to certain flavours/smells, then once selected, use your own beers. The commercial suppliers are good at providing advice and support.
      Thanks for your Guidance.

Unfortunately, there are no suppliers for food/beverage related commercially available spikes in India. The import duty on the chemicals is also very high ~12%.

However, most of the raw specific compounds are available on the Sigma Aldrich India page. I have no other option, have to make our own spikes.

Thanks

Comment

OK, I picked this up some time ago

https://learn.kegerator.com/off-flav...beer/#practice

Never used this guide myself, but worth giving a go

Have fun!
        dick

Comment

We've used both the standard pills and our own in-house chemicals. The in-house chemicals cost us as must as one set of the pills to purchase but now we have a very large supply. A diacetyl spike previously cost us $15 and now it's literal fractions of a cent. You just need to be careful with storage (purged vessels, etc) but the ASBC has a calculator that works great for doing the dilutions. We bought our own chemicals (many from Sigma) and I'm happy to share our calculator or the catalog numbers that we ordered; feel free to DM for contact info.

Comment

Working...
          X