Bourbon Barrel : first time use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bourbon Barrel : first time use

I've racked a batch of Imperial Brown ale in freshly emptied Bourbon barrels (Heaven Hills, bought from Tom Griffin) last October. The beer was then at 8.5% with a residual 6°Plato. I've topped them recently so I had the chance to taste the product. Though a small dose in a sniffer is something (reeeeally good) I'm afraid that there will be too much of a whiskey character in a full glass. I'm curious to know from those who did similar project, if they'd blend the barreled stuff with regular beer before packaging.

I plan to keg and bottle the product next March

Cheers!

Ben

We've played with Scotch Whisky and Bourbon Barrels. We found that we had to pull the beer out of the Bourbon Barrels much quicker (1 month for 7.5% Porter) cause we felt we were getting too much tannin from the wood.

On the Scotch barrels we felt 6 months was needed. I put this down to the Bourbon barrels being first go around?

Blending would be a good way to increase youir output, go for it!

Cheers,
    Jeff
    Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
    Chairman of the Beer
    Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
    Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
    W: www.lovibonds.com
    F: LovibondsBrewery
    T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
      I've racked a batch of Imperial Brown ale in freshly emptied Bourbon barrels (Heaven Hills, bought from Tom Griffin) last October. The beer was then at 8.5% with a residual 6°Plato. I've topped them recently so I had the chance to taste the product. Though a small dose in a sniffer is something (reeeeally good) I'm afraid that there will be too much of a whiskey character in a full glass. I'm curious to know from those who did similar project, if they'd blend the barreled stuff with regular beer before packaging.

I plan to keg and bottle the product next March

Cheers!

Ben
      Back blend with the original beer to titrate the booze flavor. I've done as high 50/50 blend for a hint of barrel character. Depends on what you are looking for in flavor profile.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
        Back blend with the original beer to titrate the booze flavor. I've done as high 50/50 blend for a hint of barrel character. Depends on what you are looking for in flavor profile.
        Yes, that's what I plan to do. I'm just curious to know if that's what is usually done by brewers with first time used barrels

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
          Yes, that's what I plan to do. I'm just curious to know if that's what is usually done by brewers with first time used barrels
          It is in my brewery. We typically use the barrels once then sell to some people that make planters and furniture.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

I know a lot of breweries that back blend their barrel aged beers. It keeps the flavors from being overwhelming, and as a plus you get more barrel aged beer to sell (and everyone likes that)
            Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen
              I know a lot of breweries that back blend their barrel aged beers. It keeps the flavors from being overwhelming, and as a plus you get more barrel aged beer to sell (and everyone likes that)
              And you get a somewhat more consistent product.
              Cheers!
              David R. Pierce

Comment

Working...
              X