Black Ipa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Ipa

I want to make a black ipa. I ve read that dehusked carafa provides color without the burnt flavor of black malt, anyone find this to be true? Any other ideas for color without creating too much of a malt backbone.

Very simple: Sinamar.

Comment

Thanks

Wow simply beautiful. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wholehop
        I want to make a black ipa. I ve read that dehusked carafa provides color without the burnt flavor of black malt, anyone find this to be true? Any other ideas for color without creating too much of a malt backbone.
        You want a malt backbone, same as you would for a regular IPA. Remember, Black IPA not hoppy porter.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by grassrootsvt
          Very simple: Sinamar.
          Never had a Sinamar beer I liked. And I've had way too many.

That's just me.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Quantity of Black

How black (and what type of black) are you going for?

I've used Weyermann Carafa 1 before with good results, and I think that you can get away with a blend of Briess Black and Extra Special, especially if you cut some of the crystal malts in the bill.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
              Never had a Sinamar beer I liked. And I've had way too many.

That's just me.

Liam
              Just you and me. Sinamar is fun to play with on a small scale though. I wouldn't use in production.
              Cheers!
              David R. Pierce

Comment

I don't understand why someone would want an IPA colored black without roasty flavor. Is a black-colored pils next? How about a touch of Crisp chocolate and some black barley, maybe something like 1/2 to 1% each? Depending on your hops, a smooth flavor transition from the rich,full hoppiness into malt richness might work.
                Granted, there is quite a bit in this world I don't understand, though.

Comment

I am with Moonlight on this one. Anybody tried the high kilned wheat from Briess? 550 L, apparently without a strong acrid bitter flavor. I haven't tried it. I think it might be seasonal.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight
                    I don't understand why someone would want an IPA colored black without roasty flavor. Is a black-colored pils next? How about a touch of Crisp chocolate and some black barley, maybe something like 1/2 to 1% each? Depending on your hops, a smooth flavor transition from the rich,full hoppiness into malt richness might work.
                    Granted, there is quite a bit in this world I don't understand, though.
                    I don't get the attraction either. I was talking with some local homebrewers and "Cascadian Dark Ale" kept getting mentioned. A quick google search:
                    An Emerging Beer Style
                    The wiki addition

Personally, I believe the style to be contrived. Reminds me of a contract brew from the '90's: Black Wit! Wit! was the flagship and Black was the follow-up.
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

Yeah. Out in WA it is becoming Cascadian Dark. The good examples I have tried (good meaning I liked drinking them) have been huge on the nose, but the bitter flavor tended to be more well-balanced by the malt. The darker malts certainly came through, but weren't really as full as what you might expect in a stout or porter. The poorer examples I have tried didn't taste bad. But blind, it would have been a plain old IPA, albeit delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by aorrick
                        Yeah. Out in WA it is becoming Cascadian Dark. The good examples I have tried (good meaning I liked drinking them) have been huge on the nose, but the bitter flavor tended to be more well-balanced by the malt. The darker malts certainly came through, but weren't really as full as what you might expect in a stout or porter. The poorer examples I have tried didn't taste bad. But blind, it would have been a plain old IPA, albeit delicious.
                        To clarify: I've no problem brewing new and exciting beers, but to force a new style i.e. San Diego Ale for IIPA in 2006 or 7. Wacky.

Can't those North Westerners be happy they have PNWA?
                        Cheers!
                        David R. Pierce

Comment

+1 for Carafa

I recently made a double black IPA using both Carafa II & III and really liked the results. I agree with Moonlight, to me there's no sense in an IPA that's black without having a small amount of complimentary roast character. I feel Sinamar is better suited for changing the color on a final product that has missed its intended SRM.
                          Cheers,
                          Mike Roy
                          Brewmaster
                          Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
                          5123 Baltimore Ave
                          Hyattsville,MD 20781
                          301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
                          @franklinsbrwry
                          facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Feeling like a White Stout

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by DancingCamel
                              Any ideas?
                              Bleached Roasted Barley? Liquid Smoke?

I have a keg of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous (Black IPA) on as a guest beer at the Pub and it is going quickly. Might be the novelty of it. I think as a new style, there is room for a Cascadia Dark or whatever you call it. Good beer is good beer, we just all tend to pigeon-hole everything. Trying new things is the most exciting part of this business!
                              Cheers!

Jeff
                              Carbondale Beer Works

Comment

Working...
                              X