Replacing Special B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing Special B

I'm trying to use as much domestic (US and Canadian) malt as I can. I had been using Castle Special B, which was very good.
    It looks like my options are:
    Briess Extra Special Malt
    Briess (2 Row) Crystal 120L
    Great Western Crystal C120
    Great Western Crystal C150

Anyone care to weigh in?
    Thanks.
    Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

C120

I switched from Special B to a Crisp C-120 with good results in a 7% Red Ale.

Crisp is an english malt although I'm guessing that the Briess C120 would be a good fit. I haven't used that one from Briess.

You can always ask your supplier too.

Comment

Originally posted by drewseslu
      I'm trying to use as much domestic (US and Canadian) malt as I can. I had been using Castle Special B, which was very good.
      It looks like my options are:
      Briess Extra Special Malt
      Briess (2 Row) Crystal 120L
      Great Western Crystal C120
      Great Western Crystal C150

Anyone care to weigh in?
      Thanks.
      You will not get the depth of flavor from any of those. None have that dark fruit/plummy richness. The Briess ESM was created as a special b knock off when deWolf-cosyns pulled out of the US. Not even close except color. Good luck in your search. I hope you find it.
      Cheers!
      David R. Pierce

Comment

Gotta agree with Hindu on this. What about Weyermann Carafa 3, I have noticed some level of dark fruit and fig with it similar to the Special B flavos, not sure what the replacement ratio would be though. Color would be darker however so use in small amounts.

Comment

Originally posted by HighWaterBrew
          Gotta agree with Hindu on this. What about Weyermann Carafa 3, I have noticed some level of dark fruit and fig with it similar to the Special B flavos, not sure what the replacement ratio would be though. Color would be darker however so use in small amounts.
          The issue is wanting to use North American products. Castle and Dingemann's both still sell the real Special B.
          Cheers!
          David R. Pierce

Comment

Esm

I've had pretty good results with Briess ESM. It is not the same as Special B, but I think that there are some blatant cocoa and plum notes if used in the right proportion and at the correct pH. We're using Castle Special B right now, but I think that, for the most part, Briess ESM is capable of filling that hole should the need arise.

Is it a perfect substitute? No. But using ESM with a 2-row Caramel 40L should give you some pleasant mash flavors.

Cheers,
            Bill

Comment

I use BreissESM and have been pleased. Not Special B but its good.
              Tim Eichinger
              Visit our website blackhuskybrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
                The issue is wanting to use North American products. Castle and Dingemann's both still sell the same Special B.
                FTFY

I will be importing some stuff, CaraFaII Special being one of those things that I just can't get from over here (although from what I've tasted BlackPrinz is on the right track). So, if I have to bite it and buy their stuff, I can.

Comment

I'd like to suggest the Dark Crystal II from Thomas Fawcett. It's a 120L that we've been using in place of Special B for years. It's probably not a perfect match for Special B, but I think it's a terrific malt.
                  Mike Hiller, Head Brewer
                  Strangeways Brewing
                  2277-A Dabney Road
                  Richmond, VA 23230
                  804-303-4336
                  www.strangewaysbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by drewseslu
                    FTFY

I will be importing some stuff, CaraFaII Special being one of those things that I just can't get from over here (although from what I've tasted BlackPrinz is on the right track). So, if I have to bite it and buy their stuff, I can.
                    Thank you!
                    Cheers!
                    David R. Pierce

Comment

Originally posted by HinduKush
                      Thank you!
                      Haha yea, I remember reading in either Brew Like a Monk or Farmhouse Ales that Castle makes their own base malts, but has Dingemans make their specialties.

Comment

Definitely C-120L + Roasted Barley
                        Have you tried Caraaroma by Weyermann? This is one of my favourite sp. malt, about hte same colour as Sp.B with a nice, crisp taste. Less fruity though

Comment

Sounds like the Briess ESM is your winner. To me the Carafa gives color without harsh tannins (I used the dehisked version) but I cant see it giving you those dark fruit notes the Special B does. I see you want to stay domestic, but if youre willing to go to Canada, I have had good results with MFB CaraMunich 120. Good luck!
                          "Uncle" Frank
                          Frank Fermino
                          Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
                          Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
                          Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Comment

So I've been using Great Western C 150, so far in the Baltic and Rye Imperial Stout with fantastic results. I still need to pilot the Amber, Dubbel and Quad with it to see how it performs more broadly, however.

Comment

Originally posted by Zucker Bee
                              Definitely C-120L + Roasted Barley
                              Have you tried Caraaroma by Weyermann? This is one of my favourite sp. malt, about hte same colour as Sp.B with a nice, crisp taste. Less fruity though
                              I second Weyermann CaraAroma.
                              Cheers!
                              David R. Pierce

Comment

Working...
                              X