Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beejay
    replied
    Yeah, if sugar is going to be a large part of a recipe (>10% of fermentables) I always add it 48 hours or so after brewing for yeast health. If I'm brewing a big IIPA with up to 10% dextrose I add it into the grant as I lauter.

Leave a comment:

• BlackAnvilBrew
    replied
    Everything I've been told is to add the sugar on the second day of fermentation. Same reason as rbrewhead said.

Leave a comment:

• rbrewhead
    replied
    When using sugar additions I like to brew the beer without sugar and give it 24 hours to start fermentation before I boil and add sugar to the fermentor. Yeast tends to like to eat the sugars first before moving onto the maltose sugars. This can cause the yeast to stall out and never attenuate properly.

Leave a comment:

• MikeRoy
    replied
    Bruce,
    I always add my sugar when I start boiling. To me it just makes sense to lessen the need for a later addition that I may forget while I'm mashing out,prepping the fermenter or doing any number of other things on a brew day.
    Last edited by MikeRoy; 12-02-2011, 12:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• kugeman
    replied
    I'm not sure that it really matters all that much. I've always added sugar with 20 or 30 mins left in the boil. Basically just to get it dissolved and sterilized. I'm not sure what the benefit of boiling it any longer would be.

Leave a comment:

• Tighthead
    started a topic Triple sugar additions

Triple sugar additions

Brewing a Triple today and want some input on preference for sugar additions. using basic raw sugar, but curious if you are adding for the entire boil, or at the end or middle of the boil. I have always done it at 60 minutes as a homebrewer, but things have changed for the bigger : )

any opinions welcome...

Bruce Dir
    Tighthead Brewing Co.
Working...
X