TTB Formula

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TTB Formula

My first time submitting a TTB Formula for my Whiskey Barrel Stout... anyone have pointers/guidelines? How long has it taken for the formula to be approved?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
    Founder, Head Brewer
    Pikes Peak Brewing Co.
    Monument, CO

In dealing with the TTB it is anyone's guess. Sometimes we will get a rejection and it is unclear why. Then we simply resubmit the exact same thing and it gets approved. Seems to just depend what gubmint slacker they have working on the job that day. Turn around time is usually fairly prompt though. 1-3 weeks usually.
    Keith Yager
    Head Brewer/Owner
    Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
    www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by PPBC
      My first time submitting a TTB Formula for my Whiskey Barrel Stout... anyone have pointers/guidelines? How long has it taken for the formula to be approved?

Thanks in advance.

Chris
      Hi Chris,
      Include all of your ingredients, specific details explaining the entire process ( write it so someone with zero idea about brewing could follow it). At the bottom, show the base beer alcohol content, show the marginal amount of alcohol that will come from the barrel if you re using a used barrel (ie, 0.03%), add up those two to show the total content. I would expect three-four week turn-around time.

Prost!
      Dave
      Glacier Brewing Company
      406-883-2595
      info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing
        Hi Chris,
        Include all of your ingredients, specific details explaining the entire process ( write it so someone with zero idea about brewing could follow it). At the bottom, show the base beer alcohol content, show the marginal amount of alcohol that will come from the barrel if you re using a used barrel (ie, 0.03%), add up those two to show the total content. I would expect three-four week turn-around time.

Prost!
        Dave
        Really? We only include ingredients if it is something other that grain, hops and sugar such as spices. We never give them a recipe formulation. Name, label and ABV is all we give them for approval.
        Keith Yager
        Head Brewer/Owner
        Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
        www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by hammer
          Really? We only include ingredients if it is something other that grain, hops and sugar such as spices. We never give them a recipe formulation. Name, label and ABV is all we give them for approval.
          I understand your reasoning. I was instructed by a TTB agent to fill out a SOP this way for any beer using a whiskey barrel. Your mileage may vary.

Prost!
          Dave
          Glacier Brewing Company
          406-883-2595
          info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Working...
          X