Using available hops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using available hops

Since so many of the fashionable, designer hops are in short or nonexistent supply, I'm wondering about using those that are plentiful.

According to the USDA hop report:

2011 harvest
    Nugget 3.332 million pounds
    Columbus/Tomahawk 7.422 million pounds
    Zeus 10.695 million pounds

Anyone have any experience in formulating recipes using these? Quantities, using by themselves, blending with other hops?

Alot of people do already. CTZ a very popular hop is a blend of Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus. I'M assuming its the reason i have trouble finding plain Columbus anymore, so i switched to CTZ. Usage is like other citrus high alpha American verieties.
    Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
    tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
    "Your results may vary"

Comment

Recently did a beer with all nugget.

Base, aroma, finishing and dry hop.

Beer was fantastic.

Waste of alpha dry hopping for sure, but what a beautiful hop!

I will definitely do something similar again.

I would also encourage other brewers to try their high alpha hops in some different scenarios.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Ctz

I am pretty sure that CTZ is not a blend but that Columbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus are actually the same variety under different names.

Che'
        Black Locust Hops.

Comment

Originally posted by Che'
          I am pretty sure that CTZ is not a blend but that Cthatolumbus, Tomahawk, and Zeus are actually the same variety under different names.

Che'
          Black Locust Hops.
          I believe.
          That was also my understanding. I believe Hopunion's online guide says something to that affect. Also, I recall Scott Deserault at Yakima Chief telling me that C and T were the same when I started doing business with them in the late 90s

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys. I appreciate the clarification.

Liam, what style was the all Nugget beer?

Comment

both are good dual purpose hops. high alpha, and ctz has a great aroma. I use ctz for bittering quite a bit, and love it as a aroma/dry hop addition. I like nugget a lot for bittering/flavor additions in hoppy american styles (pale ales and hoppy reds in particular, could work well in an ipa/dipa as well). I've never used it as a late addition.

Comment

I personally find nugget goes better in darker beers. I've used it in a couple test IPA batches and was underwhelmed. But it blends well with roasted malts IMO.

Columbus is an essential IPA hop IMO.
                Keith Yager
                Head Brewer/Owner
                Yellowhammer Brewing Co.
                www.yellowhammerbrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by liammckenna
                  I would also encourage other brewers to try their high alpha hops in some different scenarios.

Pax.

Liam
                  Slightly off topic, but we've been using Super Alpha for dry hop with excellent results for a while now. Not bad for what's perceived as a neutral bittering hop.

Comment

Working...
                  X