No announcement yet.

Fermentis dried yeasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah...$50 for a 10bbl pitch is A-Ok by me. Plus you can store them in your cold room for up to two years. So I always keep backup bricks around.

Seems to me that if you're paying $300 for an equivalent pitch, you're worrying about stretching as many generations as you can from it (as we do with our liquid pitches of our Kolsch strain). Whereas with a $50 dry pitch of US-05, I'll go four to six generations and if it starts doing anything weird, or just sits for too long or I get a poor harvest or something, then I've always got a fresh pitch in the cooler ready to go. Or as an emergency backup if say, something is unexpectedly lagging really badly.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Plus you can store them in your cold room for up to two years. So I always keep backup bricks around.

Seems to me that if you're paying $300 for an equivalent pitch, you're worrying about stretching as many generations as you can from it (as we do with our liquid pitches of our Kolsch strain). Whereas with a $50 dry pitch of US-05, I'll go four to six generations and if it starts doing anything weird, or just sits for too long or I get a poor harvest or something, then I've always got a fresh pitch in the cooler ready to go. Or as an emergency backup if say, something is unexpectedly lagging really badly.
      Exactly. Even if/when we switch to all liquid strains, it's nice to always have some dry yeast sitting in the cooler.

Comment

Originally posted by wlg View Post
        I.

- Getting lag times of nearly 24 hours ( I remember this yeast kicking off in 4-6 at the other place). After starting it attenuates on a typical schedule.
        - Getting diacetyl precursors in spite of generous d-rest though not at problematic levels.
        - Getting volatile sulfur at the end of fermentation.
        - Consistently getting FG of 1.012. Pretty-much on target.
        -Generating about one bbl of slurry, seems like very little for the batch size.
        -Slurry is very runny and unconvincing.
        - At a previous job we were trained to evaluate slurry by, among other things, tasting it. I thought it was a little silly at first, but eventually copped to it. I tasted this slurry the other day and just a finger tip's worth sent me running to the sink for water because of an intense burning sensation it left i my mouth. Very unusual. I know this is highly anecdotal but any idea what thats about?
        - One batch has displayed noticeable phenols.

Cheers
        This is our lot. Been getting worse over the last 12 months and i have used this stuff for over 10 years. Switched to 001, 3 days quicker ferment, 2 days VDK ... no sulfur or phenols ...
        Head Brewer Rocks Brewing Co.
        Sydney, Aust
        scotty@rocksbrewing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Crosley View Post
          I am brewing my Belgian Pale Ale today and this will be my first time using T-58 after switching from a liquid BSI yeast. It seems that the comments in this thread are very very inconsistent regarding pitching rates. The package recommends 80g/hl which would be around 240g/3bbl. The range from you guys is between 125 and 300grams.

Does anyone have any final suggestions in terms of how much to pitch for a 3bbl batch of 16p wort?

Cheers,
          Andy

UPDATE:
          I brewed this beer which was a Belgian Pale Ale with T-58 yeast and Mandarina Bavaria hops. I pitched 240g for a 3bbl batch. I did not rehydrate but I did oxygenate.
          I started my fermentation at 68 for 24 hours and then I let it free rise for the next 4 days. final temp was 72.
          This beer came out great (very different than my batch using liquid yeast from BSI). I do not get the strong Belgian esters but flavors more along the lines of a traditional hefe yeast, banana and clove notes.

Just thought I'd let you guys know how it turned out, thanks for all of the help. Oh and by the way, no finings and this beer is absolutely crystal clear.

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
            Gotta join in on the SO4 bandwagon. Although I prefer the Nottingham for incredible attenuation (10.7 down to 1.65), I have used SO4 for years with no off tastes. And I dont oxygenate it at all. I will also highly recommend WB06 used at about 60% of recommended pitch levels and no oxygen. This stress on the yeast really brings out the phenols for a genuine German-style wheat. Great product.
            Zero oxygen?
            Dave Cowie
            Three Forks Bakery & Brewing Company
            Nevada City, CA

Comment

Working...
            X