Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heffe

Howdy,

I am putting together a recipe for a 10HL "standard" hefeweizen... anybody wanna chime in on any tips or suggestions, it's my first time putting this one together by myself:

12ºP = 12.58kg/hl extract

Grain % (not extract)
    Weyermann Pale Wheat 60%
    Malt Franco Belg Pilsner 29%
    Weyermann Melanoidin 10.5%
    Briess Chocolate Malt 0.5%

Thinking abut first wort hopping only with Brewer's Gold to hit 12-13 IBUs...probably about 600 grams@9.2%AA

Going into a conical fermenter (still waiting for our open fermenters!) and using WB-06, pitching 430grams dry directly in the fermenter at 20ºC.

We don't have an agitator in our mash tun (all manual stirring) and we can only do single infusion mashes

I'm thinking about starting really thick for a ferrulic acid rest at 43-45ºC for 15 minutes and then adding a bunch of hot liquor to raise mash temp to 62ºC for a 30 min rest, and then start running off while sparging.

Any tips may earn you a free glass to come and sample when it's ready!!
    Alex Postelnek, Lead Brewer
    Funky Buddha Brewery
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
    (561) 945 - 4584
    alex@funkybuddhabrewery.com

The Chocolate malt would put the color darker than a traditional hefeweizen at about 9 SRM. Without it you would be at about 8 SRM due to the Melanoidin.

I'd drop them both and add your Pale Base Malt at 10% of the grist for a nice golden straw of around 4 SRM and an OG around 14 Plato, depending on your efficiency.

but, that's me...It's your beer.....
    Last edited by Scott M; 08-07-2012, 07:04 PM.

Comment

50/50 pils and red wheat IMHO
      Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
      tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
      "Your results may vary"

Comment

I'm with Ted, keep it simple.

40-60% wheat, 60-40% Pils,
        12-13 Plato,
        14 IBUS,
        ferment cool (18-19C) for balanced ester/phenol

I would tone down the light crystal and omit the chocolate personally.

And if you want it classic (and cheaper!), no flavor/aroma hops. And definitely no lemon wedge...
        Last edited by jfulton; 08-08-2012, 11:38 AM.

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Heffe

Thanks for your inputs!

I am going for something a bit darker (ie closer to a Schneider Weise than to an Erdinger in colour)...but I certainly didn't want the grist bill to be too complex. I purposefully used a Belgian/French pils as opposed to a German pils and I wanted to balance out the colour with just a touch of Chocolate.

I was a bit concerned about the mash thickness and the technique of starting low temperarture (for FA rest) and thick mash and after 15 mins rest adding hot liquor to raise the mash temperature and decrease the mash thickness...I still need to work out some mixing calculations to dial that in.

I look forward to hearing any more comments out there from any brewer's who want to share their insight. I've heard about one brewer adding pure can sugar to the WP to bring out more bubblegum and drying out the beer a bit.
          Funky Buddha Brewery
          Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
          (561) 945 - 4584

Comment

Sounds like a dunkelweizen

"Beer for the Greater Good"

Comment

Recommend you make one on a smaller scale, say 10 gallons and see if it is what you want to market. Again....your beer, your call.

Comment

I use
                60% Weyermann Wheat
                30% Weyermann Vienna
                10% Weyermann Munich II
                13 IBU hop addition after hot break
                Shoot for a acid rest, a protein rest, maltose rest, dextrinization rest and mash out.
                This is one of those beers you can't halfass or you can mess it up.

Comment

Rests

Thanks Brewmaster2001...

I had read somewhere that a French/Belgian Pils malt was better than traditional german pilsner for HefeWeizen, allegedly to reduce any potential grainy or astringent character...although honestly, I can't really see much difference between say Weyermann Pilsner or Malteries Franco Belges Pilsner, but as I understood, it's just part of the tradition to use Belgian Pils.

The other crucial points...I know there is a long thread on WB-06, so it seems that a FA rest (at 45ºC) is helpful in getting more 4VG, underpitching yeast, and holding on the lower end of fermentation temperatures (18ºC).

I am wondering if anybody out there was hitting different mash rests 45ºC, 63ºC, 72ºC, with an un-heated mash tun by only adding hot liquor. The mixture formula I'm using is really simple algebra Aa+Bb=Cc.

I also understand that HefeWeizen is actually one of the most forgiving beers in terms of brewing...like it would be difficult to mess up...but maybe I heard wrong.
                  Funky Buddha Brewery
                  Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
                  (561) 945 - 4584

Comment

simple is how I roll......

50% pale malt
                    50% wheat

Mash at 155 F ish

low IBU's, underpitch,

and let the yeast do its' thing....

....was never a fan of the dunkels...

Comment

well the acid rest lowers ph of the mash. that will help with the astringent character. I use BSI W-68. It is the paulaner and Hacker Pshcorr Weissbier Yeast witch ferments best at 70F. As far as forgiving, if your cleaning isnt great you can get a lacto infection because of the low IBU. lacto can't survive in about 18 IBU. a perfect ph level is critical for a low IBU beer. if you can get a l/g ratio of 3.7/1 at mash out you should be perfect.

Comment

Acid

I've heard brewers using a bit of Weyermann Acidulated Malt to lower pH and add a bit of souring tartness to the mix...however, i thought this was only for Belgian Wit...not a HefeWeizen. Does 1-2% seems enough Acidulated? I'm thinking it drops down pH by 0.01 per kg per hL. What's the ideal mash pH for this style of mashing?
                        Funky Buddha Brewery
                        Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33334
                        (561) 945 - 4584

Comment

the rule is 1% acidulated malt in the grist bill lowers the wort ph .1. I have spoken to brew master at both schneider weiss and Hacker pschorr and the both do a ferulic acid rest and add no acidulated malt. as far as mash ph you should aim for 5.7-5.2 for maximum conversion

Comment

Working...
                          X