fresh hop ale - harvest ale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fresh hop ale - harvest ale

I have looked through the posts on the subject, and have a few questions. I am planning on running the wort onto the hops in the mash tun after the kettle whirlpool. It is a 10 bbl direct fired kettle. Should I attempt fresh hops for the bittering and just find a huge hop bag? I could set up a 75 gallon stout kettle as a hop back just for the bittering hops, then go to the mashtun for a thirty minute rest on fresh hops, then through the hx. Seems if I am going wet hop, go all the way, but my searches recommend pellets for bittering.
    First one, and I want to hit it right on.
    Any advice appreciated,
    Thanks
    David

We've got a similar 10bbl setup it seems. Brewed ours last week, used 125lbs of wet hops. Did it as a SMaSH beer, so we only used the one hop. Bittering is kinda a crapshoot but this seems to have worked for us this time. No idea what the IBUs are but it seems about right for a pale ale.

60 minute boil with 10lbs wet hops at: 60, 30, 20, 10, and 0. Just chucked them right in the kettle. We've got a hopback, so we put a mesh bag over where the inflow to it is. Ran the wort through the bag to catch any hops, then pumped it from the hopback to the mash tun vorlauf. 75lbs of wet hops in the mash tun. Took about half an hour to fill. Then ran it out the mash tun drain to the hopback, rigged to catch any hop bits again, and into the heat-x. No muss, some fuss. Actually wait, lots of muss too. Cleaning all those hops out of everywhere, especially a kettle not designed for whole hops, sucked.

But it's just finishing up its ferment and the beer is fantastic!
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

NICE! Sounds very similar to what I am doing tomorrow albeit, on a much smaller scale. I'll be using roughly the same hop schedule with all Chinook and Centennial grown in my yard. I did the same thing last year running all of the cast off wort through a home-made "hop jack". Can't wait to taste it again.

-Kev
      co-founder and head brewer
      West Seattle Brewing Co.

Comment

Brewed on Monday, and all went well. After the whirlpool I sent the wort back to the mash tun to steep on the fresh hops for an hour. Drained back to the kettle, and through the hx. An extra hour or so on brewday, but the wort smelled nd tasted great, the brewery still smells great, and it is happily bubbling away.

Comment

Panadero - awesome, hope it turns out great!

Kev - it'll be on tap (with 15 other fresh hop beers) at the Noble Fir on the 29th and Beveridge Place for our brewer's night on the 27th, stop on by and give 'er a try!
          Russell Everett
          Co-Founder / Head Brewer
          Bainbridge Island Brewing
          Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Very cool Russell. Bev place is five or ten minutes from home for me. I'll try to make it.

-K

Comment

Working...
            X