Odd and Ancient grains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd and Ancient grains

I would like to make a beer with some odd and ancient grains. Spelt, Amarayth, quinoa, buckwheat etc. Is it best to mash them? Sence they are not modiefied, how do they convert?

Thanks

But you'll also probably need to do a cereal mash on them to gelatinize the starches in these raw grains. I made some gluten-free beer a few years ago using some of those malts. As I remember, many of these have gel temps higher than normal mash temps. See e.g http://hbd.org/clubs/cascade/public_...rewing/gel.jpg And bear in mind that once cooked they can turn in to solid blocks of goo if you let them cool and retrogradation sets in. I have heard adding some milled malt into the cereal mash will help prevent this, though I haven't tried it m'self. Making it gluten free I couldn't do that, so it turned into a horrible, peanut-buttery brick.
    Russell Everett
    Co-Founder / Head Brewer
    Bainbridge Island Brewing
    Bainbridge Island, WA

Comment

Sounds Good. I have never done a cereal mash. How long and at what temp do you cook it? I expect it’s grain dependent. I'm going for a throw-back herbed ale on a Scotch ale foundation. So oats, rye, spelt and Kasha. However, I want to collaborate with a baker and use some of the former grains in a new batch another day. My plan is to mash all these grains separately with some 2 row, batch sparge it and add the extract to a separate run-off, boil, herb and pitch.

Comment

Emmer Farrow Wheat

In Washington, Bluebird Farms grows an heirloom grain called Emmer wheat, one of the ancient Egyptian grains. We malted 1500# for a beer made for a Egyptian art exhibit. I am working with Teff now, lots of potential for these heirloom grains.

Good luck with your brew.

Lance Jergensen
        Rebel Malting Co.Reno, Nevada USA
        ljergensen@rebelmalting.com

Comment

Working...
        X