Smokes beer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smokes beer

Kinda wanna make a smoked wheat beer. Belgian Abbey yeast, 15 IBU, Heavy on the dark caramel, no darker roast, some Munich and the ? much smoked malt. (Best Smoked malt) want more than a hint but not over the top. Personal preference I know but would appreciate your opinion. Thanks

I've used 15% smoked malt for a definite smokey presence in a porter. It doesn't taste like a house on fire, but it's definitely and unmistakably a smokey beer.

Comment

If making a smoked wheat ale why not use Weyermanns Smoked Wheat malt? I prefer smoke levels in to 10%-20% range but have had great Gratzers with 60% smoked wheat.
      Cheers,

Comment

I use 12% Weyermann smoked malt in a doppelbock. For a wheat beer I suggest 15% Weyermann smoked malt. you don't want to much as to intimidate the consumer.

Comment

Smoked brown ale

I'd skip the belgian yeast and go for an English or German Alt strain. Nothing against belgian yeasts, it's just that they produce so many of their own flavors and aromas that I wouldn't want things to get muddled up. I use about 30% of Weyerman smoked malt in my Smoked Brown Ale, and it comes out tasting very close to a Bamberg Rauchbier.
          Sleiche!
          Bill
          Busted knuckles Brewing Co.

Comment

I'm brewing a smoked wheat with 6% Best Rauchmalt later this week. Will post later and let you know how it turned out.
            Paul Thomas
            Brewer
            Sockeye Brewing
            www.sockeyebrew.com

Comment

Working...
            X