using citrus zest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using citrus zest

I am working on some summer brew ideas and want to use some lemon and orange zest in the fermenter. I was wondering about thoughts and experience on dosage. I am looking more for the aroma. BTW 20 bbl system

Prost
    Mike
    Mike Eme
    Brewmaster

I like using citrus oil/extract because the flavor itself seems more stable and it is much easier to control the dosage into the final product. A good orange extract for example is just orange oil, alcohol and water. In a 7 BBL batch, 100mL of extract will provide noticeable and depending on the base beer, sometimes overwhelming citrus notes.

Comment

I'd say at least three pounds of fresh zest per batch, using a microplane grater. It's going to be a bitch and a half to zest all that, but it should be nice in the end.
      I'd recommend five minutes of boiling to emulsify the oils, alternately you could whirlpool them. Make sure you use a bag though; they can be quite a pain in your heat ex.
      Cheers,
      Greg

Comment

30 lb box of limes, zested, per 10 bbl batch. This tool works: http://www.zipzester.com/
        Nat West

Comment

Actually I found a company that can supply fresh frozen and pasteurized zest its Vita Pak. Nat any idea about how much weight that yielded. Thansk everyone for your help
          Mike Eme
          Brewmaster

Comment

I got no clue how much that yields. That company should know though. A 30 lb box makes a fluffy pile about as big as a pomelo or a duckpin bowling ball. Which means not very heavy at all. Ounces.

PLEASE SHARE THIS COMPANY!!
            Nat West

Comment

If it's these guys: (http://www.vita-pakt.com/CitrusPeel-i-16-12.html), then make sure you're getting zest not peel. The pith is bitter as all hell and the zest is fragrant.
              Nat West

Comment

How long did the zipzester take to blow through 30# of limes?

Comment

Originally posted by revnatscider View Post
                  I got no clue how much that yields. That company should know though. A 30 lb box makes a fluffy pile about as big as a pomelo or a duckpin bowling ball. Which means not very heavy at all. Ounces.

PLEASE SHARE THIS COMPANY!!
                  Feel free to contact me for samples, we offer both fresh and dehydrated citrus peel.

axavier (@) vita-pakt.com

Comment

Working...
                  X