Most hop tolerant bacterias

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most hop tolerant bacterias

Hi there, I am looking to sour some of my beer that has just finished fermentation with sacc. cerevisiae. The beer I want to use is pretty highly hopped, appx. 80 ibu. Wondering what bacterias I might have the most luck with.

Thanks, Rich

There are no commercially available LAB, which I think you mean by bacteria, strains that are 'hop tolerant' to my knowledge. Basically once you get above 8-10 bu, the Iso-alpha-acids (basically ionophores) start screwing up the cellular machinery grinding the bugs to a halt. There has been a ton of work done of hop 'resistant' LAB in beer spoilage but the vast majority of it has centered around lagers, much much lower than the 80bu you quote. Even more difficult is that if you have this beer finished fermenting and its not going into barrels its going to be very hard to get it to 'sour'. Nearly all LAB like very warm temperatures and putting them in a cold strong, hoppy beer is a great way to get yourself very very frustrated! Also, what do you mean by 'sour'...meaning what is your goal pH/TA?
    Dr. Kristen England
    Brew Master/COO
    Bent Brewstillery

BJCP Education Director Emeritus
    Grand Master III Beer Judge

Comment

Why not culture the LAB in unhopped wort and blend?

Comment

Working...
      X