Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tamarind?

Hello everybody,

Has anyone had any experience using tamarind? We are planning on adding it to the kettle as a late addition. Currently working on how to process the fruit into a workable form. How much to use is really up in the air at this point. The cons I can think of would be only the super tart aspect of the fruit coming out in the finished product, and possible clogging of wort chiller. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
    Scott Roche'

I would recommend soaking in hot water for atleast 4-5 hours or even overnight and then straining it before adding it in towards the end of boil perhaps or whirlpool - as long as you can ensure the liquid mixes in properly. If you have seedless tamarind even better and will make this process smoother. You will get tart flavors ofcourse. Not sure overall what you are going for, but may be interesting to balance the sour with some residual sweetness in your beer. Either some high dextrin malts or higher temp mash etc...

Originally posted by Malty View Post
    Hello everybody,

Has anyone had any experience using tamarind? We are planning on adding it to the kettle as a late addition. Currently working on how to process the fruit into a workable form. How much to use is really up in the air at this point. The cons I can think of would be only the super tart aspect of the fruit coming out in the finished product, and possible clogging of wort chiller. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Comment

Working...
    X