Sodas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sodas

We are looking at adding some sodas to our brewpub lineup. I'm looking for any info on how this is usually done on standard brewing equipment.

What I'm thinking is a standard rootbeer extract sweetened with malt extract mixed in the kettle and transfered to a brite tank to carb. Would star san sanitizing be sufficient to ensure it's stable (refridgerated) or do you think it would need a boil?

heat the sugar water to 180 and hold for 20 min tranfer to tank add the soda extract to the tank. it is almost impossible to get the soda flavor out of rubber lines.

Comment

Originally posted by brewmaster 2011 View Post
      heat the sugar water to 180 and hold for 20 min tranfer to tank add the soda extract to the tank. it is almost impossible to get the soda flavor out of rubber lines.
      Thanks! I'll probably look at adding it in the brite tank then. There is one hose that runs from fermenters/kettles to the cellar. I don't want everything else picking up flavors.

Comment

• arrkev
        arrkev commented
        Editing a comment
        You should invest in seperate hoses for your soda production

we use about 1# of white sugar / gallon.
      We also add a bit of Citric Acid for flavor and a bit of sodium benzoate for preservative effect.

We mixed ours in brew kettle and ran through HEX for years at my last job and never noticed any flavor pick up in any of the beers at the pub.

At my current job and my first job we make rootbeer right in a few designated kegs since we don't have the space for a full tank of rb.

Good luck.
      Last edited by el_mocoso; 11-10-2014, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Dont waste the money on malt just use white sugar and brown sugar for your sodas. I use Gnome Soda extracts and love them, the usage is around 12-16 oz per 1/2 BBL of soda to be made. I use my kettle to heat up the sugar and water mix and go directly into kegs that have the flavoring already in them. Dont plan on running any beer through the soda lines especially root beer because it will pick up the flavor quick.
        Ben Pugh
        Meddlesome Brewing Company
        Memphis, TN

Eclectic Ales
        Memphis, Tn

Comment

Working...
        X