Kosher alternative to Isinglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kosher alternative to Isinglass

Anybody use a vegetable fining agent called Bromelain or Papain? Interested in dosages, time for adding, etc. If not, what are beers which are certified kosher using instead?

Thx.

David
    David Cohen
    The Dancing Camel Brewing Co. Ltd.

I think filters are kosher. you could use a rough filter to get your beer to a almost brite quality.

Hows the brewing going?

mike
    www.Lervig.no

Comment

Don't know if I want to filter. In any event I don't have the equipment.

We're doing good. Started brewing a couple of weeks ago - building up inventory. Kegging to start next Sunday/Monday. Had a brewday that took a whopping 15 hours but otherwise the system is humming. Thx.

David
      David Cohen

Comment

Bromelain and papain do not work in the same way as isinglass finings. They are both used as chill proofing agents, and work by chewing up larger protein molecules that might cause visible haze into molecules small enough that they do not cause haze. The main problem with both of them, bromelain in particular is that they are considered by some people to attack the proteins that cause decent head retention (foam & lacing)

Isinglass works to remove proteins and yeast cells by precipitation. Because it removes large protein molecules, it also produces clearer beer. It works best if auxilliary finings are added first, even just a few seconds before, and will produce a sediment at the bottom of the keg / cask / tank. This is used for traditional British cask beer, but may also be used pre filtration to clarify the excess protein and yeast, reducing KG usage and thus increasing filter run length. Isinglass generally doesn't work on lager yeasts - ale yeasts normally are OK.

If you only want to improve long term haze stability then you can use hydrated silica gels or PVP instead of isinglass, but these are comparatively expensive, and they don;t drop out yeast. You can also use isinglass and silica gels mixed - but I wouldn't think it would be worth it except for long shelf life beers.

Get your brewing process right, and COLD condition properly, and you will almost certainly still have a haze. Filtration is the only realistic option if you want really bright beer and cannot use isinglass.

Have fun

Cheers
        dick

Comment

Dick - thanks for the clarification (pun intended).

I may try the PVP/silica gel. I hope to drop most of the yeast out with crash chilling and conditioning.

David
          David Cohen

Comment

Working...
          X