Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flakes % - is it too much?

Fellows
    We tested a beer on our pilot system. It has 78% grain; 15% flaked wheat and 7% Flaked Oats. No issues.
    We will now brew on 2 vessels, 10 BBL system. We will use rice husks and go with a thinner mash at 152*F but I wonder if we will have a stuck mash... We plan on brewing back to back to fill up our 20 BBL FV.
    What's your take on the proportion of flakes vs grain? Should we lower the flakes or is it "brewable"?
    Thanks
    Matt

I'm currently mashing a beer with 40% Pils malt, 36% unmalted wheat, and 17% malted wheat and, yes, I use rice hulls when the percentage of grains without husks reaches this level. With your grain bill, I don't see any issues with lautering even without rice hulls. If you're grain is milled correctly, there should be no problems with lautering. If you're worried, then use some rice hulls and you definitely won't have any problems.

Cheers,
    --
    Don

Comment

Hey Matt, you should be fine with this recipe. 78% malt should have plenty of husk remaining to do the job for you as long as your grist mill isn't set too fine as this can cause you issues. I'm not sure what your brew house efficiency is, but if you are interested in possibly increasing extract with a better runoff and increasing your adjuncts, Ultraflo Max can definitely help you out. This enzyme can be found on www.brewingwithenzymes.com and feel free to reach out to me with any questions you have?
      Cheers,
      Mark

Comment

Originally posted by idylldon View Post
        I'm currently mashing a beer with 40% Pils malt, 36% unmalted wheat, and 17% malted wheat and, yes, I use rice hulls when the percentage of grains without husks reaches this level. With your grain bill, I don't see any issues with lautering even without rice hulls. If you're grain is milled correctly, there should be no problems with lautering. If you're worried, then use some rice hulls and you definitely won't have any problems.

Cheers,
        --
        Don
        Dear Don
        Thanks for your answer. We brewed on Thursday and it went well. We did use rice hulls - a generous layer on the bottom and throughout the mash. We may have over did it but it worked!
        The spent grain was extremely sticky and very gummy...
        Thanks again for taking time to answer
        Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Markk View Post
          Hey Matt, you should be fine with this recipe. 78% malt should have plenty of husk remaining to do the job for you as long as your grist mill isn't set too fine as this can cause you issues. I'm not sure what your brew house efficiency is, but if you are interested in possibly increasing extract with a better runoff and increasing your adjuncts, Ultraflo Max can definitely help you out. This enzyme can be found on www.brewingwithenzymes.com and feel free to reach out to me with any questions you have?
          Cheers,
          Mark
          Mr Mark !
          Thanks for your answer! I’ll look into the Ultraflo. I had setback the mill space to prevent stuck mash and we had lower efficiency...
          Thanks again
          Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X