Baltic Porter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baltic Porter

I've made a few and they've all been fine... but just "fine". I'm specifically looking to achieve that vinous port-like almost syrupy character. Any tips?

One of my favorite beer styles. I've added molasses and / or honey in the past to give some higher gravity and that syrupy character. Barrel aging will help with the vinous character.

Comment

Water salts and yeast that is a high glycerol producer.

Comment

To add to already good tips, especially adding molasses (particularly to the boil), I'd suggest a longer boil if you're abv parameters are higher. This will increase viscous quality of the beer.

Comment

Find a Smuttynose Baltic Porter clone recipe lol

Comment

Molasses is okay, so long as you're wanting raisin notes as well. Personally, it isn't my cup of tea for this style.

I like to use some licorice - brewer's licorice is good, but adds a real anise note, so use it sparingly (I use this when making Tropical Stouts, and the complexity and sweetness is great). But instead of the brewer's licorice, for a Baltic Porter I'd suggest actual licorice root. It is incredibly sweet, and adds nice mouthfeel, and it isn't so black licorice in flavor. I think it could work nicely for you. I've never brewed with it, but I have done little firkins of my standard porter with licorice root for the pub, and it has been really popular, and it makes it come across as richer, rounder, and sweeter - so Baltic-lite.

Other things I'd consider is upping your percentage of caramel malts, and to mash at higher temps, to create more unfermentable sugars, and then ferment as cold as the yeast will work, to allow for more residual sugar, and a mild lagering phase (if you're not actually using lager yeast).

Comment

Working...
            X