Rye Bock recipe tweaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rye Bock recipe tweaking

This is a recipe I've made several times at the 1/2bbl scale, and just tried it at the 7bbl scale.

Despite doing a protein rest at 122F and using what I thought were plenty of rice hulls, I had an excruciatingly slow runoff. I was able to recirculate for the last 15 minutes of the mash, but once I started running my peristaltic pump to runoff to the kettle, things stopped up.

Scraping the top of the grain bed did nothing, mixing just sent a ton of particles through and only worked very briefly until the grain bed settled again. I just resigned myself to setting the pump at 25% and waiting. For hours. And hours.

So, I'm wondering if it's just a case of things just not working the same way at scale (like the percentage of flaked rye shouldn't scale linearly), or if more rice hulls would help, or what. Basically I'm just looking for advice and opinions from folks who have been there. I'm considering halving the flaked rye and making it up with rye malt to keep the character while reducing the glue factor.

Here's the grain bill:

Code:
    11 lbs      Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)               2.2 %
    230 lbs     Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)     46.2 %
    125 lbs     Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)              25.1 %
    100 lbs     Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM)              20.1 %
    20 lbs      Acid Malt (3.0 SRM)                4.0 %
    12 lbs      Carafa I (337.0 SRM)               2.4 %
    Last edited by ManSkirtBrew; 09-29-2015, 08:29 AM. Reason: Clean up text
Working...
X