No announcement yet.

Sorghum ale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im curious as to how the TTB handles gluten free beer. I was under the impression that to be labeled beer you had to have a certain percentage of barley in the ingredients. Has this changed? Are there exceptions or am I simply wrong?
    Big Willey
    "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

Ttb?

Hi
      As I remarked, I'm from the other side of the pond, so I'm not cognis of the acronym. Out of interest so what does is stand for? If it relates to the law/industry standards etc being in the UK and the EU - so I don't think it would apply. I as mentioned I produced a lager beer, but beer can be obtained/produced from anything as I understand it, e.g. barley, bananas, berries et al!
      Cheers
      Ben

Comment

The USA regulatory dept for Alcohol. Wouldnt effect you, I was just wondering in general for USA brewers. I could always call and ask, just being lazy I guess.
        Big Willey
        "You are what you is." FZ

Comment

I thought that was the case as well. On Redbridge's site, the logo sits right above a message that says "Beer brewed with Sorghum" in letters so tiny I had to ctrl + several times to read it. A-B brews it and I'm sure their legal team has thoroughly explored using the phrase. Sorry I can't be of more help, but maybe this will be a good starting point.

http://www.redbridgebeer.com/

Originally posted by BigWilley
          Im curious as to how the TTB handles gluten free beer. I was under the impression that to be labeled beer you had to have a certain percentage of barley in the ingredients. Has this changed? Are there exceptions or am I simply wrong?

Comment

a beer but not that we'd line up for one!

Hi Earth_Wind_Beer
            Yeah I had a bottle of it sent over, and it was just like quite a few that I sampled. Hmmn, being diplomatic, not to my taste! Have not tried Bards and a few others out there, so there are some that would pass muster, but not many! From my experience, it's all down to the grain and the malting process, I had a few disappointments, after my first grain that came from South Africa and was malted in an ex-Guinness malting house which was a success. In the end we purchased a few tons from Nigeria and added to (the mash) achieve the required extract values. It was not the Pilsner I was after, as they capped the brew at Alc 4.7 % vol, not the 5.3-5 I was aiming for, but we a good start and I had good reviews and potential orders, then the sky fell in! C'est la vie & thanks for the interest. Cheers Ben

Comment

Working...
            X