Grapefruit IPA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grapefruit IPA

I am considering a grapefruit WIPA. I think I have the hops locked in but am at a lose on how to use the grapefruit concentrate. I also have some peel. Add some to the end of boil? Back sweeting? How much / barrel? I'd kinda like it on the fruity side. Thanks

Concentrate

I've done an IPA using both peel and concentrate and found the concentrate to be better. I felt that by using the peel in the kettle, that "true" grapefruit character was lost during fermentation. It came across more as a floral character.

I would suggest to brew your WIPA and ferment it out. Chill it and take a measured sample and dose it with your concentrate until you have your desired profile. Work out your ratio and ad that volume to your bright tank with you WIPA.

Comment

Make sure you label the beer as brewed with actual grapefruit. Some heart medications can react strongly to grapefruit and kill someone.

Comment

Originally posted by nsenff View Post
        Make sure you label the beer as brewed with actual grapefruit. Some heart medications can react strongly to grapefruit and kill someone.
        Excellent advice that I think many don't think about. Here's a link to some of the issues grapefruit causes with different meds:

Grapefruit can affect how fast statins are absorbed into the bloodstream. Learn what could happen and how much grapefruit is too much.

Cheers,
        --
        Don

Comment

Working...
        X