Rye Whiskey Wort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rye Whiskey Wort

A local distillery asked us to make rye whiskey wort for them. Just wondering if anyone had any insight into a malt bill. I'm thinking it would be 51% rye malt and 49% barley malt. If so will I have run off issues? Should I consider added some or all of the rye in a flaked form? Finally, what plato do whiskey wort usually start at?

George Washingtons rye recipe is in the book "Moonshine". Pretty funny book. The reading I have done suggests an OG of 17-18P.

Comment

rye malt has tons (!) of beta-glucan, although also fairly decent diastic power.
      50% rye will definite give you hell for lautering. (I did 60% rye once. dumb!)

I think Briess recommend using rice hull for over 20% rye.

Alternatively, run a beta-glucan rest (which is tricky... but should really help)

Comment

I sent you a PM

Bob

Comment

Enzymes

What about trying to use a Beta-Glucanase to help with the run-off with the Rye?

Comment

Rye mash

Be prepared for a 5-6 hour lauter---LOL. I am one of those crazy enough to make a traditional Roggen - 60% rye malt. I did use a huge amount of rice hulls too. I would not do it again unless i had rakes and knives in my tun. Using glucanase enzyme in the mash would be a good idea for whisky wort, but for a beer i think it would break down too much of what you want in the beer. I would assume you would want gravity as high as possible.
            Brewmaster, Minocqua Brewing Company
            tbriggs@minocquabrewingcompany.com
            "Your results may vary"

Comment

I thought whiskey had to have a %age of corn in it as well.
              COAST Brewing Company

Comment

Originally posted by Coast
                I thought whiskey had to have a %age of corn in it as well.
                It often does, but doesn't have to. Bourbon is the one defined by corn.

Comment

Rye Whisky

Originally posted by Smuttynose
                  A local distillery asked us to make rye whiskey wort for them. Just wondering if anyone had any insight into a malt bill. I'm thinking it would be 51% rye malt and 49% barley malt. If so will I have run off issues? Should I consider added some or all of the rye in a flaked form? Finally, what plato do whiskey wort usually start at?

You want to get the Gravity as high as you can!
                  Using 50% Rye malt, I would (as others do...) recommend to use rice hulls.
                  The rest of your grain bill I reommend to use 6 Row malt and
                  "Liquid Corn syrup". Call Briess Malting and ask them for advise
                  on Corn syrup.

Cheers,

Fred

Comment

Rye Whiskey Wort

I would definitely be prepared for a hellish day in the brewhouse. I have prepared scotch wash before in a brewery and it can be very problematic. Horror stories in fact! Our solution was to use Beta-Glucanase enzyme with a beta-glucanase rest of 20 minutes in the mash tun. It added a bit of time to the step mash but it was well worth it. I think hulls can help but will most likely not be the answer. Ask to get the malt analyzed for beta-glucans before you brew as this would give you a good indication of what you're working with. I suspect the supplier will not give you any indication what the beta-glucans are; but a secondary analysis might be worthwhile if this is something you might be producing more than once a year. If you're making this with a local distillery ask them what they suggest. I would also suggest not maxing out your vessels for the grain bill; this will only further complicate lautering. If additional "brews" are needed to obtain the volume it's a better solution. I would target around 18-20 Plato. Not sure about the percentage of rye/barley.

Best of luck and feel free to contact me with additional q's.
                    MJ
                    Mike Jordan
                    Brewmaster
                    Boxing Cat Brewery
                    Shanghai, P.R. China
                    michael@boxingcatbrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                    X