10bbl Recipes help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10bbl Recipes help

I'm moving to Liberia Africa to open a 10bbl brewery in the spring. I've been home all grain brewing for over a year, and been working (FREE) in a 10bbl brewery for the past 6 months for experience. However, a new head brew master has been hired and wont let me work there anymore, nor help me with questions (insurance so he says). Anyway, I have all the grain bills for a 10bbl recipes, but neglected to write down the hops and hop schedule for them. It is imperative that I have good known 10bbl recipes to open with. The Africans only like light ales - no browns reds nor stouts. Can anyone provide with with a few 10bbl recipes for summer and winter ales, pale and Pilsner, and IPA recipes. I'm desperate at this point.

Thanks,
    Don Adsitt

Hey Don,
    So....what you're saying is you stole recipes from this 10bbl brewpub and now they won't let you back in the door to finish copying down their recipes that you neglected to take with you in whole the first time?

How unreasonable of them,what's this industry coming to.... Feel free to send me an email and I'll be happy to send you all of my recipes from the last decade(no browns,reds or stouts though, wouldn't want an unhappy African market) including grist/hop bills, temps/times,yeast,conditioning procedures,logs I've made of aging beer on wood,with herbs/spices/flowers, infusion with wild yeast and bacteria.

Let me know if you need anymore information on general brewing practice/theory or what not. I mean if we can't simply help out an all grain home brewer of over a year start up an African brewery we'd all be just a bunch of savages. Whatever you do don't let anyone tell you that you need get experience by working in a paying brewing gig,work your way from the bottom to the top or figure this stuff out for yourself, that's just crazy, you're on the right path.

Good luck my brew brother,
    Cheers,
    Mike Roy
    Brewmaster
    Franklins Restaurant, Brewery & General Store
    5123 Baltimore Ave
    Hyattsville,MD 20781
    301-927-2740

Franklinsbrewery.com
    @franklinsbrwry
    facebook.com/franklinsbrewery

Comment

Originally posted by Don Adsitt
      I'm desperate at this point.
      Indeed. And, seemingly, with good reasons.

Either you or your clients may suffer from some delusional disorder(s). Consult your local psychiatrist for some direction.

Stay sane man.

Pax.

Liam
      Liam McKenna
      www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Brew help

Thanks mike, sent a personal message - hope you get it. I'm sure there is still much to learn, and so appreciate your help. We have much to overcome in Africa - no electricity - temps of 110 degrees, questionable water, requirement to treat wastewater etc. We adopted 3 girls from Liberia 4 years ago, and we would like to give back, but live comfortably there. I know Im in the right place finally with you guys!
        Don

Comment

Admin??

A little help here please.

Poor Mike is the victim of misunderstood sarcasm. Which, of course, can always be a danger with the puerile.

Please stop this before this gets embarrasingly ugly.

Not that it wouldn't be highly amusing.

Perhaps we are guilty of making it all look too easy.

Pax.

Liam
          Liam McKenna
          www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Originally posted by Don Adsitt
            I'm moving to Liberia Africa to open a 10bbl brewery in the spring. I've been home all grain brewing for over a year, and been working (FREE) in a 10bbl brewery for the past 6 months for experience. However, a new head brew master has been hired and wont let me work there anymore, nor help me with questions (insurance so he says). Anyway, I have all the grain bills for a 10bbl recipes, but neglected to write down the hops and hop schedule for them. It is imperative that I have good known 10bbl recipes to open with. The Africans only like light ales - no browns reds nor stouts. Can anyone provide with with a few 10bbl recipes for summer and winter ales, pale and Pilsner, and IPA recipes. I'm desperate at this point.

Thanks,
            Don Adsitt

Don,
            You are going to have to experiment with YOUR system, local water profile, available ingredients, etc, to determine what hop profiles will work.

At a minimum, BUY yourself a copy of a brewing program like ProMash and see if you can figure out a hop schedule yourself.
            If you came by these recipes by a less-than-honorable route, I would not advertise that fact. I cannot think of a pro brewer who likes having their recipes lifted for use in another brewery.

Prost!
            Dave
            Glacier Brewing Company
            406-883-2595
            info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

I second promash

Take your homebrew recipes and plug em' in for 10bbls....its a start.
              Glacier is keen to mention considering what you can get in Liberia for raw ingredients and water profile.
              Best of luck!

Comment

10b bbl recipes

Guys,
                Please understand that what I had was an agreement to work in their brewery as free labor in exchange for the experience of running a brewery, and all information I would need to open a brewery in Liberia - including recipes. They held up there end - have given me grain suppliers, What and where to buy CIP chemicals, Kegs, hoses, all of it. This agreement was because they knew I was in no way competing with them - . If I was opening a brewery in the US then I could understand what your saying, but its not the case. I did not realize I did not have all the recipes I needed until later. When they replaced the head brew master - he alone decided to end our agreement without any notice. His excuse was "Insurance" and He is too busy to waste time on a non-employee. I was dismayed to say the least. If I had all the luxuries of a US brewery, I would gladly experiment as you suggest. I cannot do that in Liberia. There is no sewer system, and all water has to be treated, No Electricity except a local generator etc. That is why it is imperative to have known beginning working recipes to start with.
                Don

Comment

I think what people are trying to get at here, is that there is no such thing as a proven recipie. The fine-tuning is all based on the unique brewery inputs (such as water, equipment, etc.)

Perhaps you should approach the forum with the grain portion of your recipie and what type of beer you're shooting for and see what people would recommend.

Or just get a copy of ProMash and dial up a homebrew recipie. Recipie forumulation is a vital skill for someone taking on a project such as yours.

Comment

Ain't no easy answers..

I will fourth the ProMash suggestions. You can input the viatals for all of your ingredients, calculate efficency for your brewhouse, water chemistry etc. It's going to be a trial-by-fire no matter how you go into it, sounds as there are just too many unknowns.

Make a simple good, clean, beer (like a blonde) to start with. Take good notes and then build on your knowledge and start making more complex beers as you see fit. That's we all have done for many years building our careers as professional brewers and i think that is why some people are offended that you are asking them to share their life's work as if it will be a simple plug-and-play operation. I have 8 years as a pro brewer, and i still learn every day- If i did not, i would look for something else.

Good Luck
                    Last edited by Jephro; 11-17-2009, 02:30 PM.
                    Jeff Byrne

Comment

Brewers code of ethics

Don,

I hope such a thing exist, and I don't know your circumstances, but I was once asked to design a beer for the brewmaster that was going to replace me. My response was why should a new guy brew my beer. Shouldn't he have the oppertunity to make his own beer(with the exception of established brands). There is a certain pride in designing and brewing your own beer. If you are not ready for this step than you should consider paying a good consultant for what you need. Note brewers are not driving around in fancy sports cars and we work hard developing the tools we use. Please show us the a little respect. If you do you will find that brewers are extremely gracious.

Graydon

Comment

Don,

Recipe formulation is an art, but at the same time, recipe is cheap. Any of us here can easily give you a recipe that will taste fine, if not awesome. Or, you can find tons of beer recipe books on Amazon -- there are lots of great tasting recipes out there.

But, carrying out the brewing and making consistently good beer is another discipline all together. Most great beers taste great not because of the small tweaks in recipes, but because of the care and control we put in to ensure the quality. If you are having issues with basic recipe formulation, most of us here assume that you don't have enough understanding in brewing... which we don't mind helping! But this is a real issue if you are going to take up a brewery project in Africa all on your own.

None of us want to see a failed business and crashed brewery dream, but be realistic with yourself. If you can, I recommend you to go through formal brewing training -- Siebel, UC-Davis, or ABG. Otherwise, get a consultant!

Cheers!

Comment

10bbl

I'm suprised that with all the other post and help offered, no one except MikeRoy will help me with such a simple request. You all act like your guarding a treasure - . There are those that really like helping others, and I'm that way myself. I understand that tweaking due to water quality etc. and I'm surely not going to compete with you - so why are you proving to be such jerks about lending a hand and helping out? This Probrewers board I thought was to help others and promote the industry, but I'm not seeing any help here.

Disappointing.

Comment

Upon reviewing my response I think I was actually quite friendly.

I dont have recipes for 10bbls...I brew on 7bbls direct fire and thats all I have done since opening my brewery with my partner 10 months ago. We brew with whole leaf hops and put them in big "tea bags" and squish them every so often. Pro Mash doesnt help much on that front. In fact Ive yet to find a brewers calculation that can give me what I feel would be an accurate estimate of IBU's in recipe using this technique. (ie utilization) Thank goodness "the people" liked the beer...and they like it even MORE 10 months later...recipe's tweaked here and there...If you plan on using pellets your one step ahead of where we were. Promash can hook you up with pellet calculations. And whole leaf hop calculations when not packed in "tea bags"
                            You can download Promash right where you are...have you done that yet? If so what have you come up with? A couple pounds of some high alpha acid hop additions right at the start and a few pounds of good hop aroma varieties say ten minutes from flame out?

Don't underestimate FRESH BEER. Ive never been to Africa...but Id wager heavy there not all that different of beer drinkers from us Pacific North Westerners. If they like "beer" they will like and probably love fresh
                            "craft beer". Keep it clean, focus on the details and scour the archives of this site. Chances are someone already posted a good "Golden" recipe you can tweak. The search engine on this site is an educational portal that just may take you to the next level...it has with me!!
                            "RELAX have a Craft Brew!"

Comment

Simple Question?

Don,
                              A "Simple question"......there is nothing simple about the requests you have made. Do you truly understand what you are asking? Brewing beer is not as simple as making bread. There are many variables that need to be considered.

I will say this many brewers on this site will help with reasonable requests. Having said that, your initial post did not sound like you know what you are doing and many of the guys/ladies on this site are not going to waste their time on something that sounds doomed to start.
                              Cheers!
                              -Alan

Comment

Working...
                              X