Giger in beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giger in beer?

Does any one know a simple solution to adding ginger to a finished beer?
    I played around with powdered, crystallized and ginger root. All of them smelled nice but the beer tasted really awful. I need to add sweetness and ginger to a house light ale. Any ideas? Thanks

Well, there's always extract, but it can easily stand out as such for being one-note. I think that may actually be your problem, since ginger in beverages is often sharpened and balanced with citric acid or some other citrusy note. At one place I worked, we'd pulp ginger root and lemongrass in a food processor, which turned out pretty well (and you can always strain it, of course). I suppose the remaining question is: are you sure you like the taste of ginger in beer? It's really not for everyone.

Comment

Boil it into a tea, strain, and add.
      Jeff Byrne

Comment

I like candied/crystallized ginger added in the WP, broked into smaller (pea sized) pieces at a rate of about 1.85oz/bbl for a subtle effect.
        Fighting ignorance and apathy since 2004.

Comment

No I don't like ginger in beer. Problem is we are poening a new asian restaurant. The menu screams ginger beer. I like the lemon grass idea also.

Comment

It's pretty much my favorite spice.

Comment

sweetness without a new fermentation?

Just one question. How do you pretend to avoid a new fermentation after adding the sweetness you want?

Comment

I am just glad that no one is adding HR Giger to beer.

Attached Files

Comment

When I first saw this post, I thought had a similar thought. I'd go to H.R.'s brewpub. http://www.hrgiger.com/barchur.htm

Comment

Guy I know uses 4oz root ginger which he beats with a hammer prior to putting in for last 15 mis of boil. This is 5bbl length. Has noticeable ginger taste. If oriental restaurant, how abot kaffir lime leaves. Have had them in very pale hoppy beer and adds real noticeable flavour

Comment

Originally posted by olllllo
                      I am just glad that no one is adding HR Giger to beer.

Grundy sight glass eyes.
                      Cheers!
                      David R. Pierce

Comment

fresh ginger grated and steeped as a tea and then added post fermentation worked for me the best the one time I tried it. I've used ground ginger a couple times in firkins and once while homebrewing and didn't really like it. A light hand is my advice if you go the dried route. Also used lemongrass a few times in one of our seasonals. We always used fresh lemongrass, chopped it and kind of smashed it, and steeped it late boil in spice bags. It always came out really nice. One word of advice is that one year we could not find fresh lemongrass in time so we used dried, and overdid it a bit, and it came out smelling exactly like fruity pebbles. Go with fresh.

Comment

I find about 1/10th pound per barrel fresh grated ginger anywhere from 30-KO gives a pleasant effect. You might try using the fine side of a cheese grater. Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
                          X