Smoked hops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smoked hops?

Chatted today to a chap who said he had prepared some smoked hops for a brewery a few years ago. Familiar with smoked grains, but never heard of smoking the hops before - anybody have any practical experience?
    Gregg

Sounds like something I did in college...

Comment

Yeah, just gives you a headache
      Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
      Chairman of the Beer
      Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
      Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
      W: www.lovibonds.com
      F: LovibondsBrewery
      T: @Lovibonds

Comment

Originally posted by Rosie
        Yeah, just gives you a headache
        Not if you don't inhale.
        Cheers!
        David R. Pierce

Comment

Yersss... very droll. Any more comedians wish to contribute? Beer is, like, serious business, dudes.
          Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg
            Yersss... very droll. Any more comedians wish to contribute? Beer is, like, serious business, dudes.
            Conesmoker was originally brewed with smoked hops. I believe they use smoked malt now. Maybe e-mail those guys?
            Cheers!
            David R. Pierce

Comment

Beer is extremely important business, and absolutely vital business. But it's never serious business!

Tim

Comment

I know a local homebrewer that smokes his own hops and brews with them. The aromas and flavors are very different than smoked malt. The results from the smoked hops are light, almost fleeting, but very evident. There is almost no smoke flavor per se, like you might get in a smoked malt beer, but the aroma is there. It's hard to describe, smelling the beer you expect it would be a smoked malt flavor, but when you drink it the smoke isn't there. I've been very suprised some bigger micro hasn't taken off with this yet and made a big splash. It's a very interresting and different tasting beer.
                Scott Isham
                Harper's Brewpub

Comment

Hey Scott,

do you know what kind of wood he's using?

Comment

That I don't remember for sure. I want to say cherry, but not sure. Smoke all tastes the same to me. I just remember how great the beer tasted, not being a big fan of smoked beers,or now I should say smoked malt beers.
                    Scott Isham
                    Harper's Brewpub

Comment

cool.

i live in hardwood country and wild cherry is awesome for flavoring foods. any fruit wood is excellent because it's fairly mild compared to oak, hickory, etc.

another project in the works now. thanks

Comment

We've done this. We took some whole Cascade to a local artisan salumeria and they hot smoked them for us in an empty smoker. They took on a lot of the flavours of the meats that had been smoked in there previously: ham, bacon, chorizo, etc. Really interesting. We brewed a delicate wit and ran the hot wort through a hop-back filled with the smoked hops. It was delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by Lighthouse View Post
                          We've done this. We took some whole Cascade to a local artisan salumeria and they hot smoked them for us in an empty smoker. They took on a lot of the flavours of the meats that had been smoked in there previously: ham, bacon, chorizo, etc. Really interesting. We brewed a delicate wit and ran the hot wort through a hop-back filled with the smoked hops. It was delicious.
                          Lighthouse I would have been a little worried hot smoking the hops due to possible over oxidation with an overwhelming cheesy flavor and aroma from the hops. Suprised that didn't happen. I would think that cold smoking the hops would be a better bet but I do think a smoked hop beer would be very interesting. I may have to try this at some point.
                          Kenjiro Tomita
                          Brewmaster
                          Triple 7 Brewpub Las Vegas

Comment

Working...
                          X