No announcement yet.

Can an alehouse sell house brewed beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can an alehouse sell house brewed beer?

My business partner and I are working between two business plans, one for an alehouse and one for a micro brewery and taproom (both in Minnesota). My question is: if we move forward with the alehouse, is it legal for us to also brew small batches of our own beer and sell those on tap alongside other breweries' beers?

I've tried to word this question a million different ways in searches online and have had frustrating results trying to find something on-topic. Any direction would be much appreciated and please let me know if I can provide any further information.

Originally posted by WiscoWood View Post
    My business partner and I are working between two business plans, one for an alehouse and one for a micro brewery and taproom (both in Minnesota). My question is: if we move forward with the alehouse, is it legal for us to also brew small batches of our own beer and sell those on tap alongside other breweries' beers?
    A lot of states prohibit breweries from selling beer that was not produced there.
    I doubt you will be able to brew beer legally in your alehouse/bar without the formal blessings of the TTB and your state Alcohol Control Board (ACB). Brewing beer for sale makes you a brewery which has an entire host of rules and restrictions. Call you state ACB and/or Department of Revenue as they are the horse's mouth you need to hear it from.

Prost!
    Dave
    Glacier Brewing Company
    406-883-2595
    info@glacierbrewing.com

"who said what now?"

Comment

Originally posted by GlacierBrewing View Post
      A lot of states prohibit breweries from selling beer that was not produced there.
      I doubt you will be able to brew beer legally in your alehouse/bar without the formal blessings of the TTB and your state Alcohol Control Board (ACB). Brewing beer for sale makes you a brewery which has an entire host of rules and restrictions. Call you state ACB and/or Department of Revenue as they are the horse's mouth you need to hear it from.

Prost!
      Dave
      Thank you! I spoke with the person in charge of liquor compliance and licensing in Minnesota. What I found out is there are two options:

1) A brewpub, where you can apply for and receive licensure to brew and sell your own beer on-site and alongside other breweries' beers.
      2) A taproom, where you obviously produce and sell only product that you brew.

I followed up with the question of whether a brewpub can expand into a production brewery off-site if they find that their beer is selling well enough alongside other beers to warrant doing so. He responded that the only way you could operate as a production brewery is to then surrender your retail license and convert the brewpub to a taproom selling only product brewed by you.

Comment

Working...
      X