Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing failing trench drain... Cost and Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing failing trench drain... Cost and Suggestions?

We have a 27-foot trench drain that needs to be replaced. It's the wrong type of trench drain, and didn't stand up to hot water. It's pulling away from the concrete in some spots, and it's cracked in other spots. I'd like to have it replaced with a stainless trench drain with removable grates that can withstand a forklift. I'm trying to get a rough idea of how much it'll cost to have the old one ripped out and a new one put in, with more sloped concrete than it currently has. So in other words, we'd need a much wider hole cut (maybe 6ft. wide by 27ft. long), and the new trench drain would be sunk deeper into the ground, and then concrete would be poured and sloped around it. Can anyone help with a rough cost estimate? Wanted to get an idea before calling people out for quotes.
    Neil Chabut
    Eudora Brewing Co.
    Brewery and BOP
    Kettering, OH

We have installed a system by slot drain
    I think we paid less than 4000.00 for a 20 foot stainless steel section you can drive a fork lift over it without a problem. Check them out super responsive ..cheers jim

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bruboy View Post
      We have installed a system by slot drain
      I think we paid less than 4000.00 for a 20 foot stainless steel section you can drive a fork lift over it without a problem. Check them out super responsive ..cheers jim

Thanks for the info. I'm sure that number is just for the drain itself, and doesn't include installation. I'm trying to get an idea of how much the whole project would cost... removal of the old drain, installation of the new one, and sloped concrete poured around it (about 3 or 4 feet on each side). I'm sure the cost varies from region to region and contractor to contractor, but again, I'm just trying to get an idea. In other words, will this cost around $10,000 or will it cost around $50,000? I'm just not sure what kind of money we're talking about here.
      Neil Chabut
      Eudora Brewing Co.
      Brewery and BOP
      Kettering, OH

Comment

• Slot_Drain_Systems
        Slot_Drain_Systems commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi NigeltheBold, Jim is right, Slot Drain is pre-sloped, so it should make installation a little easier than you might think.

We work with hundreds of breweries every year, so we're pretty experienced with what you're going through. If you'd like to give Brenden a call at 1-855-497-7508 ext 122, he'd be happy to talk things out with you to give you a better picture of the overall project.

Also check out https://www.slotdrainsystems.com/breweries for more info.
        Last edited by Slot_Drain_Systems; 02-11-2021, 10:03 AM.

I totally understand there's no way it's going to cost $50,000 to do this and even $10,000 is probably more realistic you have an existing drain there now so all you've got to do is get somebody to cut it out with a concrete wheel and if you go out wide enough for your pitch you can have a concrete company do the pouring. this unit when you buy it comes pre sloped for your pitch so you don't have to do any sort of adjusting other than making it level with the finished surface.the video will give you a better idea as to what's involved with the installation on their website as well as YouTube. It's much different than a conventional trench drain and doesn't require the same maintenance there are no grades to remove no chance of pinching your fingers no rusting whatever extra money it's going to cost you it's well worth it and it looks a lot nicer than anything else on the market

Cheers Jim

Comment

I don't think we want to go the slot drain route. I think we want something more traditional, like a round bottom trench drain. Do they sell conventional trench drains that are pre-sloped?
      Neil Chabut
      Eudora Brewing Co.
      Brewery and BOP
      Kettering, OH

Comment

https://www.acodrain.us/klassikdrain.html

This is the way,
        Linus Hall
        Yazoo Brewing
        Nashville, TN
        www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Looks like the drain body on those is made from polyester polymer concrete. Will that hold up to high temperatures? I think that's the main problem with the one we have... but I'm not exactly sure what it's made of. Some kind of plastic or something. I was thinking we'd need to switch to stainless steel.
          Neil Chabut
          Eudora Brewing Co.
          Brewery and BOP
          Kettering, OH

Comment

I can second the ACO drains. You can buy pre sloped sections and they are available in many different configurations. I went with these after the previous brewery we worked at had them in place for 15+ years. They may not have looked the prettiest anymore (they had galv grates on theirs), but they were still functional. We've had no problems with temperatures, just looked at the datasheet of ours (Multidrain) and it says max 82C for chems. Pay attention to the sealant that you or your contractor uses to bond them together and to other drain bits for chem resistance.
            Jeff Rosenmeier (Rosie)
            Chairman of the Beer
            Lovibonds Brewery Ltd
            Henley-on-Thames, Englandshire
            W: www.lovibonds.com
            F: LovibondsBrewery
            T: @Lovibonds

Comment

We have had no issues with temperature. I would go with the black cast iron grates.
              Linus Hall
              Yazoo Brewing
              Nashville, TN
              www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Hi, Sorry to be so late to post a reply, and I'm sure you've resolved your problem by now. I am an ABT Polydrain distributor, and have a wide variety of our products in dozens of breweries around the country. From the most basic polymer concrete trench drain with ductile iron slotted grating, to full stainless systems. I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Comment

Working...
                X