Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tap Faucet quality - how much does it matter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
    How will you clean your lines otherwise?
    I was going to fill a couple kegs and use them to flush the lines. Planned on using a March pump for cleaning the lines. Hookup 4 or so at a time.
    My kegs are right behind my tap wall. Very short run. After not finding anyone that used and loved the adjustable taps I'm going to go with a separate reg on each tap line.
    Which reminds me I need to look up info on setting up a Nitro tap. I want a Nitro tap or two as well

Comment

And you've made my point for me! Your proposed solution is a March pump. Plus fittings. Plus the dedicated GFCI circuit inside a cold room. Plus the effort of filling a keg with tap cleaner, then rinse, and then sanitizer (assuming you have a multi-step tap cleaning procedure). Compare that to an installed beer pump: take the tail off of the keg (or BBT), drop into a bucket of cleaner, open the tap. Done. Beer pumps pull the liquid cleaner through the lines. You can clean as many lines simultaneously as you want. With zero decrease in line flow: your March pump flow won't be divided among four lines. Each line gets full flow. And you can turn up the beer pump pressure if you like to get even more flow. You'll save so much time with a recurring task. And be more inclined to actually clean the lines when you're supposed to because it's not that big of a deal. That's a big part of operating a brewery; efficiency of your time, tool-less operation, simple/easy/effective SOPs for those things you do all the time. Plus you get the added bonus of regulating your dispense pressure in a much more effective way than an adjustable flow tap faucet. I'm all about working smarter, not harder. For me--beer pumps are a no-brainer. I invite others who disagree to make their point as well.
      Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by gitchegumee View Post
        And you've made my point for me! Your proposed solution is a March pump. Plus fittings. Plus the dedicated GFCI circuit inside a cold room. Plus the effort of filling a keg with tap cleaner, then rinse, and then sanitizer (assuming you have a multi-step tap cleaning procedure). Compare that to an installed beer pump: take the tail off of the keg (or BBT), drop into a bucket of cleaner, open the tap. Done. Beer pumps pull the liquid cleaner through the lines. You can clean as many lines simultaneously as you want. With zero decrease in line flow: your March pump flow won't be divided among four lines. Each line gets full flow. And you can turn up the beer pump pressure if you like to get even more flow. You'll save so much time with a recurring task. And be more inclined to actually clean the lines when you're supposed to because it's not that big of a deal. That's a big part of operating a brewery; efficiency of your time, tool-less operation, simple/easy/effective SOPs for those things you do all the time. Plus you get the added bonus of regulating your dispense pressure in a much more effective way than an adjustable flow tap faucet. I'm all about working smarter, not harder. For me--beer pumps are a no-brainer. I invite others who disagree to make their point as well.
        I think we're on the same page besides using a pump to move the beer. I already setup my coldroom with multiple dedicated outlets so that's not an issue. The run is only 8 foot for the furthest keg. If I put a reg on each line I don't see any problems pouring or the need for a pump to move the beer.
        I was thinking of a manifold on the March pump (or whatever pump I need to move the cleaner) to clean multiple lines at once. Filling a keg or bucket with cleaning solution to flush them with. Lines will be cleaned weekly.

What pump do you use as a beer pump? You use this same pump to force beer through the lines as well as cleaning the lines correct? Which would mean you're always setup to clean? Do you have a pic of your pump and lines?

Comment

I've used Shur-Flo Beer Ace as well as FloJet. The latter are easier to install in multiple sets. They sell panels pre-assembled for up to four pumps. Looked around, but can't find any pictures of installations I've done--too bad as there were two projects where I had panels of 24 pumps. 8 for each of 3 floors of dispense. Very cool switchup panel that used PU push fittings to switch tanks to pumps. We had long dispense lines for each of these installs and had no real choice but to use pumps. Used to like walking into the cold room on a very busy night to switch BBT for a product and listen to the many pumps chugging away. Very steam punk in a cold room sort of way.

Anyway, the same pump is used to clean and dispense. No tools, no mess. Less than 1 minute to unclamp a tail from BBT and then drop into a bucket of cleaner. Walk to faucet and open to clean. Done. Your setup will likely work well for you, but the disadvantage is that you cannot change your backpressure from keg to faucet. Once you install the line, the associated line losses are set in stone. Your regulator must be set to desired carbonation pressure, so that can't be changed to make up for any flow issues. So, I see four ways to address this: 1) Set it and forget it. Standard 6' of 3/16" line to faucet for most average pours. This is typical bar setup for 2.65 volume beers at 38F. 2) Set each line for a set carbonation level. Longer lines for more carbonation, shorter for less. 3) Set the lines a bit short and use the restrictor taps to introduce the bit of resistance for each line's optimal pour. 4) Beer pumps. Which IMO is the cat's meow. There is a 5th, but I'll have to draw it rather than explain. It involves the switchup panel I discussed above. Hope this helps clarify.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X