Ok to pack draft lines with acid 6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok to pack draft lines with acid 6?

Long story short we seem to be out of regular sanitizer and only have iodine sanitizer. I clean the lines with PBW then rinsed and then ran acid number six before I realized we only have iodine sanitizer. Don’tWant to do that. I should be OK to leave acid six in the lines for a while right?

lines are bev seal ultra if that matters

I would not leave Acid6 in lines for extended period of time.

Comment

You could boil some water to sterilize it and fill the lines with that.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Comment

Never leave chemicals in beer dispense lines. That particularly include iodophors or chlorine based compounds. By all means pass the acid through which will neutralise any caustic residues, hopefully remove any mineral salts and, due to the change of pH will kill off a load of bugs. Thoroughly rinse out with tapwater, boiled if you like. Reclean if the delay before using for dispense is more than a few days
        dick

Comment

yes, well the reason for the question was that i did not want to use iodine, so that was never up for debate. simply a question about acid being left in the lines. turns out that leaving acid 6 in the lines for 4-5 days is not a problem at all. rinsed right out, clean as a whistle.

i realized last night that i had a bottle of star san at home and had enough to make about 20 gallons and pack all the lines for (unfortunately) long term hibernation.

now on a somewhat related note- anybody know a solid/valid reason not to use food coloring in your chems for draft cleaning? its obviously food grade, and folks have claimed to use it with no issues whatsoever vs the expensive stuff from micromatic/foxx/etc.

Comment

Originally posted by brain medicine View Post
            now on a somewhat related note- anybody know a solid/valid reason not to use food coloring in your chems for draft cleaning? its obviously food grade, and folks have claimed to use it with no issues whatsoever vs the expensive stuff from micromatic/foxx/etc.
            On one hand, I suppose you could accidentally stain the lines. I'm not sure how problematic that would be in real terms, but I wouldn't want that anyhow. More important is the possibility that the food coloring reacts with something in the caustic - if not the Na/KOH itself, maybe a surfactant or chelator or whatever - that lessens its cleaning potential. I have no idea what grocery-store food coloring is made of and I have no real idea how this might happen, but I assume the indicators added to commercial cleaners are purpose-built to be totally inert in solution.

Comment

I would never leave chemicals in draft lines. Somebody bound to pour a "beer" after-hours and chug some caustic. It's happened to customers in the past--search these posts for descriptions of those. Happened that I poured a "beer" for evaluation before the bar opened. It was light enough in the dispense area so I could tell it wasn't beer and hammered the brewer who said, "yeah, I know. It's cleaning. I would have switched to beer before we opened". Right. Foolproof plan. He no longer works for us. At the very least if you MUST extensively soak for some reason, then operate under lockout/tagout conditions and don't leave any doubt about what's in the line.
              Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We have a 45' 12-line beer trunk that goes out to our outdoor serving kiosk. I shut it down every fall for the winter--6+ months.

I clean the lines as usual, then blow them out with CO2 and leave them dry and filled with CO2. We don't even have to clean them before starting back up in the late spring.
                Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
                Terminal Gravity Brewing,
                Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

i packed them with star san. draft tech i caught on the street said its not an issue.

as to the food coloring, i could have sworn somebody here had posted about using it before. although i cant find it as hard as i try. hate the search function on this site. i know folks have used it in glycol but obviously that's not really the same scenario.

Comment

Working...
                  X