Secondary regulator recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secondary regulator recommendations

I'm looking for some secondary regulator recommendations. I was using a basic Taprite manifold that sufficed for our 10 bbl brewery, except, one by one, all the adjusting screws have worn out. So I'd like something with similar functionality, but with a little more durability. Something like this, but with a better flow rate.

Thanks.

Why do you need a higher flow rate? We use similar secondaries to push four kegs from each one and never have a problem. We do use beer pumps to move the product, but previous to going to the pumps we pushed four kegs/reg just fine.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

I don't necessarily need a higher flow rate than what the Taprite does, but it would be nice if I can get it in the approximate price range I'm looking at. It would be nice to shave some time off keg cleaning cycles, tanks purges, etc.

I've been looking at Micromatic, which charges $250 for a 4 pressure rig a with 3.5 max scfm capacity, and UltraFlow, which charges $165 for 4 pressure rig with a 9 max scfm capacity, so there's certainly plenty of variance within the >$300 price range.

The Kegco ones I linked to, however, were absolutely too low flow to perform brewery tasks. It'd be great if more vendors listed the flow capacity up front, but alas.

Comment

Revisiting this thread as we are working on a new production facility and I made the mistake of buying Kegco secondary CO2 Regulators a few months ago. Things of course were delayed, so I can't return them now. These are for the keg washer and carbing, but the flow rate is awful. I thought the regulators were bad, but this thread made me realize the SCFM just sucks on the Kegco. We have Taprite in our taproom, so I was think about exchanging them as the Kegco should be fine to push beer, but just can't keep up on the demands in the production facility. Question is, does anyone know the SCFM of Taprite? I would rather just pull the Taprite and put them in the production facility and then put the Kegco in the Taproom. If the Taprite has a low flow/SCFM then I would just purchase the UltraFlow, but would rather repurpose and not have to spend more money.

Comment

I've used many different regulators and the old adage "you get what you pay for" certainly applies. These cheaper brands are full of plastic parts that just don't last long. My go-to now is Cornelius, but Micromatic and Perlick are both good. If you are looking for instantaneous, or short bursts of low-pressure CO2 in your process (as for cleaning kegs), then I suggest a different strategy: Don't buy a regulator with high flow capabilities for short bursts; use an accumulation tank. This tank fills "slowly" between cycles, but is available for high-flow, short-duration bursts of gas. You'd place this as close to the keg washer as possible so you don't have much pipe losses. Works great where I've used it. Works well with air too. It also increases total system air capacity so that your compressor cycles a bit less. Be sure to have safety relief valve on it.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Originally posted by ghscott View Post
            Revisiting this thread as we are working on a new production facility and I made the mistake of buying Kegco secondary CO2 Regulators a few months ago. Things of course were delayed, so I can't return them now. These are for the keg washer and carbing, but the flow rate is awful. I thought the regulators were bad, but this thread made me realize the SCFM just sucks on the Kegco. We have Taprite in our taproom, so I was think about exchanging them as the Kegco should be fine to push beer, but just can't keep up on the demands in the production facility. Question is, does anyone know the SCFM of Taprite? I would rather just pull the Taprite and put them in the production facility and then put the Kegco in the Taproom. If the Taprite has a low flow/SCFM then I would just purchase the UltraFlow, but would rather repurpose and not have to spend more money.
            I should probably have updated the thread and noted that we went with the McDantim TruRegs, and we are happy with them.

Comment

Working...
            X