Ales in "non-ale" countries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ales in "non-ale" countries?

Hello everyone. I'm new here on this forum. My English suffer a little but I think you'll understand me

I checked for such discusion but was not able to find anything specific to answer my question.
    I come from area where people know only lagers and lagers and maybe some weizens. So people around here heard word ale first time from me..
    I find that most of users on this forum is from USA. Well I have plan to build production brewery in Europe-Austria. I've made some "research" on my family, friends and people I know. I gave them beer that I do as homebrewer. Until now I gave to them samples of some sort of IPA, Pale ale and a little stronger Porter. All of those beers were less hoped as normal US craft beers would be but also diferent from Belgian ales..Those beers were beers that I enjoy to drink. From most people reaction was positive to very positive, some were realy, as you over atlantic would say, blown away. Well some of them are unsure what to think and say because they are relaying on brand of lager that they are drinking from young age or better to say from time they drunk first mug of beer(anyway I count at best for very small part of beer consumers so I can not count everyone as my customer...nevermind)...
    Now, my ultimate question is if someone have any memories from past when craft brewed beers were not so popular/known in "craft brewing developed" countries..Were it dificult to educate people about that "strange" brews, non lagers? How did people(who undobtly liked craft beers) receive higher prices for craft beer but withouth tv comercials and all marketing behind big players?..
    If you mind to share some memories I would appreciate. If you can sugest good book about hystory please let me know. I have few books about ancient hystory of beer, but nothing from recent time from USA where 30 years ago was also lager and lite lager time. I've read some articles of it on internet or in books where I'm learning from, but most of times there are stories about sucess and not very much how people reacted. I'm interested especialy in areas where most towns have population of 2-30k souls..

Thank you for input. I wish us relaxing talk

I would think the history of Sierra Nevada and Anchor Brewery in California would be of interest. I don't know of any book but there is a lot of information on the internet.
    Linus Hall
    Yazoo Brewing
    Nashville, TN
    www.yazoobrew.com

Comment

Hi

I own and run a craft brewery in Slovenia... we brew at Slovenj Gradec just south of the Austrian border. Drop me your details and maybe stop by for a visit I would be happy to help.

You also have 1516 brewery in Vienna which is a great brewpub so Horst there would also be good to talk to

cheers

Mat

Comment

I'm currently living in Strasbourg, France, (originally from the U.S.) and I have been making note of the huge divide in styles based upon counties and regions. I would like to speak with you concerning this topic and I might be able to aid your venture or answer any of your questions.

Prost!

Bill Bensing
        Cheers, Santé, Prost, Ching-ching...which ever language you may speak!

To know more about me, visit my professional website:
        http://www.billbensing.com

Comment

Vasja,

Sorry for taking so long to respond to your message. I was not able to send you a private message. It said you were either not allowed to receive them or have blocked the private message function.

The variety of beer in Strasbourg is not as big as the U.S. It is only Kronenberg beers, very few German, but mostly Kronenberg products. For German beers, especially, Kostrizer Schwarzbier (it is my favorite), I have to cross the Rhine and go into Kehl.

There are 2 big differences in the European vs. American beer markets. In the U.S., 95% of the beer market is controlled by the top 3 companies, it is heavily concentrated. In Europe, 48% of the beer market is controlled by the top 3 companies, it is highly fragmented. In Europe, you have what we in the U.S. would consider a big "Craft Beer Market."

In the U.S., "Craft Beer" is just a synonym for "small or regional brewery." The difference between the small/regional breweries of Europe and the U.S. is that in Europe, they produce the historically local beers, and in the U.S. ,they produce all types and styles of beer. Just like both macro-markets, these small/regional beers are mainly consumed in the immediate market/region, but some do gain exposure in other markets/regions.

In Strasbourg, we have some small brew-pubs but they only produce a Blonde, Blache, Brune and Ambreé beers (beers that meet the local tastes); No other styles. I have traveled from Slovakia to Belgium and while I have been here, I noticed that most brewpubs only brew beer what fits the historically local taste also, like here in Strasbourg.

What part of Austria are you from? I was in Wien back in October, I liked it a lot. I had the chance to drive about 600 km around Austria and it is a beautiful country.

Cheers!

Bill Bensing
          Last edited by BensingBrewery; 03-08-2011, 04:31 AM.
          Cheers, Santé, Prost, Ching-ching...which ever language you may speak!

To know more about me, visit my professional website:
          http://www.billbensing.com

Comment

@BensingBrewery
            Yes there was some dificulties with my profile but now it is working again.
            I'll answer to you later over PM (just to keep topics clean of such talks).

Comment

For a similar example, look how fast lagers became popular in England. Imagine that Continental Europe at one time only had ales, not the most famous remnant is Alt Bier in Dusseldorf. In the US, craft ales had no problem becoming popular especially because there was no diversity left in a market dominated by Coors/Bud/Miller.
              Even Gruit was popular in Europe long before hopped ale.

I believe if you make great beer, the style will not be any problem.

Comment

No word for Ale

I am starting a brewpub in Latvia.
                Here there is no word in the language for ale.
                my beers will be all ales, I originally thought this would be a huge hurdle to overcome, but as I am putting together sample packs from my homebrewing and doing informal tastings I have not found any hesitation in the market for my product. I have a range from low gravity english ales to strong belgian beers and hoppy IPA. no one likes them all but almost everyone has found one they really like.
                I will have a strong focus in the brewpub on education. and even have some local beers for them to compare the differences.

Gordon
                ALEhouse.lv

Comment

There will be a word soon from the sounds of it!
                  Good luck!

Comment

Is there such a thing as a non-lager country anymore? I can't think of one where ale sales outstrip lager sales.

Of course, I could be wrong.

Pax.

Liam
                    Liam McKenna
                    www.yellowbellybrewery.com

Comment

Working...
                    X