Questions about World Beer Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about World Beer Cup

Questions after reading this on the BA website.

"Submit your entries into the most prestigious beer competition in the world. Entries will be accepted from October 10, 2011 through January 12, 2012. A professional panel of beer judges will evaluate the entries in San Diego, California, May 1-2, 2012 and will announce the winners at the Craft Brewers Conference Gala Awards Ceremony and Dinner, May 5, 2011 at the Town & Country Resort in San Diego."

1) I assume they announced may 5, 2012, unless the other dates are supposed to be 2010, but the CBC just happened this year so I think not.

2) This happens every other year, right?

3) Entries are accepted in January but not judged until May? Thats not really fresh beer, or do they mean paper entries and beers are shipped later?

These seem like simple questions but Im still learning. Thanks.
    "Uncle" Frank
    Frank Fermino
    Brewer I, Redhook, Portsmouth, NH
    Writer, Yankee Brew News, New England
    Wise-ass, Everywhere, Always

Check pricing too. If I recall correctly $500+ per beer.

Comment

not that much

I found a copy of the last time the cup was done. It was 160 per entry.

It also answered some of my questions, but still, shipping a beer in february for a judging in may makes me only want to send big beers. A blond or Pilsener or even a wit will loose something I would think, especially coming from a brew pub that doesnt have a bottling line/pasturization.

I'll give it more thought.
      "Uncle" Frank
      Frank Fermino

Comment

Aside from the ridiculous entry fees, the world beer cup also suggests you use a certain shipping company.

The first and last time I entered, said shipping company tried to bend me over and charge me $600 shipping for a box of 12x22oz. beers. I could've drove it to Denver for less. This is prohibitively expensive for small companies to bear and as such is a barrier to real competition on the world scale.

Comment

wow. Seeing this makes me think more about saving money for the GABF and GIBF. There is also the Bev Tasting Institute that does a quarterly comp. Im interested partly for the award/marketing possibilities and I'd like some blind proffesional feedback on what Im doing.

For now I guess Im just going to brew and reformulate and decide later.

Thanks.
          "Uncle" Frank
          Frank Fermino

Comment

You should consider the 15th annual North American Beer Awards

Comment

Yes! North American Beer Awards. Cheap to enter and the judging is legit.
              Hutch Kugeman
              Head Brewer
              Brooklyn Brewery at the Culinary Institute of America
              Hyde Park, NY

Comment

Cool, thanks for the lead. I will also be looking at the US OPEN Beer Championships. I found them on Facebook. First 2 entries are free. Being a new operation im looking for everything and anything I can to get our name out there. The GIBF in November is cheap and its local for us too. Thanks again, and happy brewing.
                "Uncle" Frank
                Frank Fermino

Comment

World Beer Cup

The BA several years ago decided to align the CBC and the WBC. So, that they ran somewhat concurrently. I think this was done to appeal to international judges. The judges travel on their own dime and getting to the tradeshow and the judging at the same time made more cense.

To me the World Beer Cup is the premier judging in the world at this time. Followed by the European Beer Star then the GABF. All of these offer one gold, silver and bronze per category. The are not dog and pony shows that hand out medals like candy.

Since the World Beer Cup is a true international competition they have a recommeded customs brokerage that handles INTERNATIONAL shipments. If you are in the US you just need to get your entries to Boulder, CO.

With the CBC and WBC running together and plan on going to the CBC in 2012 why not enter? You're already there!

Lastly, though I love the GABF sadly it is so heavily competed in these days in almost every category I see very little value to entering anymore. I still will but only 5 beers and to be there.

Tash

Comment

Working...
                  X