Cork Soaking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cork Soaking

We're doing some corked belgian bottles for the first time. Should we be soaking corks in a sanitizer or anything?
    Chris Enegren
    www.enegrenbrewing.com

When I have cork things in the past I would soak them in sanitizer, metabisufite like the wineries do, this also helps get any dust off of them.

Jim

Comment

What about a PAA solution?
      Chris Enegren
      www.enegrenbrewing.com

Comment

Maybe not PAA for real cork. I believe Hydrogen Peroxide would be bad for cork integrity. I think they use it in paper manufacture. You need to soak to soften the corks before corking, but most places sell corks in sanitary bags and may not need the rigorous sanitation you are thinking of. Like Jim said, low concentrations of metabisulfite might be the best move. I'd be comfortable with boiled or at least sterile water for this.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

You should never soak corks in sanitizing solutions as it erodes the coating on the cork that helps it slide into the bottle, but more importantly it activates the compounds responsible for cork taint in wines.

A small bottle with holes in the lid placed inside of a bucket with a tight fitting lid will do the trick. You fill the little bottle with metabisulfite solution and then pour the corks in around the bottle. This will produce a gas that sanitizes the cork for you and if left long enough while still active will soften the cork for entry into the bottle.

Comment

Working...
          X