Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recomendations on heaters for warming FV's in cold Brewery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recomendations on heaters for warming FV's in cold Brewery?

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get the opinion of Breweries in colder climates on this one. Doe's anyone have a recommendation on a portable heater that could be plugged in beside and aimed at the cone on a conical FV to keep the fermenting beer temperature?

We have some really cold winters in a really cold building without heating and I'm looking for something to making reaching temps for Diacetyl rests alot easier.

Dave Woodward
    Head Brewer
    Tofino Brewing Co

Interesting, are the FV jacketed. It seems like a heater pointed at the cone wouldnt do much for you. Too much heat loss. Would be a nightmare to control temp too. Might be better off wrapping FV with tubing and circulating hot water at a given temp. Kinda like a reverse Glycol unit.

Comment

what I do in winter is leave my boiler on. it keeps the temp between 50-60. if not get space heaters and leave them in the fermentation room.

Comment

Our Brewery is a big warehouse industrial setup with everything in the same building for heating the building is not a option as it will simply rise up and away from the ground! I've had good luck with aiming a basic heater upwards at the cone and the heat convects from the cone into the fermenting beer. What I was wondering is if anyone knew of a efficient make of heater for this purpose as I'm sure we're not the only Brewery in a cold environment with this type of setup!

Comment

Interesting idea but being the FV's and CT's are on the same loop warming up the glycol could pose a problem for aging beers also not to mention taxing the glycol chilling system..

Comment

If you have your glycol in use through a heat exchanger simply turn off compressor, close other tanks in system and run hot water through heat exchanger with glycol on. Very efficient at heating glycol. I've used a couple of time when a solenoid has stuck open. I usually get the glycol up 20-30 degrees over the temp of the tank. You don't want to shock the yeast especially if you still have some sugar to ferment.

Cheers,
            Dave
            David Schlosser
            Brewmaster / Founder
            Naked Dove Brewing Company
            Canandaigua, NY

Comment

Get the shrink wrap!

Depending on your tank design, you can wrap your FV with shrink wrap and place a small space heater underneath it. I've done it with dish bottom FVs with good affect, but I haven't done it with a CCCV. Perhaps you could start wrapping up from the bottom and tent it slightly once you get up to the cylinder walls. That should help.

Bill

Comment

Working...
              X