Micro or Breweries in Commercial Zones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Micro or Breweries in Commercial Zones

I am seeking information on Breweries or microbreweries who were able to open in commercial or downtown zones. I need to research zoning codes where it is allowed in an effort to get our area changed.

I live in Wine country which currently allows production wineries with a tasting room to be open in these zones but requires breweries to remain in light industry unless a restaurant is attached. I have been in contact with our planning and zoning division and was informed it was written that way only because nobody from the beer industry approached them and asked for changing it. They are very open and approachable.

Someone from the planning office hinted that it is very easy for them if they can plagiarize a zoning code for breweries which already existed to meet these conditions. I want to make my presentation and request as simple as possible.

I am requesting a list of City names for breweries which are currently allowed by zoning to exist in a downtown commercial area and have a tasting room. (No restaurant)

Denver, and I'm sure other places in Colorado have many breweries in commercial locations. Renegade, Prost, Denver Beer Co. are just a couple of the many that exist around here.

Good luck!

Comment

Your best bet is to research what others in your home state have for starters -- where are you located?
      Kevin Shertz
      Chester River Brewing Company
      Chestertown, MD

Comment

We have a brewery and tasting room in a historic downtown area. Zip code 28501

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I am in Washington State. I found that Everett Washington has some codes that are similar but they also allow strip clubs and have "adult" areas. This is a bit aggressive for our area.

Comment

Originally posted by gbrewing
            Thank you for the replies. I am in Washington State. I found that Everett Washington has some codes that are similar but they also allow strip clubs and have "adult" areas. This is a bit aggressive for our area.
            There's nothing that says they have to adopt somebody else's code verbatim: there's not a direct correlation between strip clubs and breweries (whereas an X-Rated movie store would probably have a more difficult time.)

Seattle would probably be a good one to check out, given the number of breweries there. A call to the planning department may be a real time-saver, and your question is simple enough that they can probably answer it very quickly and save you hours of your own research.

Here are some online links for Seattle to get you started...

Zoning code:
            http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Codes/

Zoning maps:
            http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/Research/...ps/default.asp

You may also want to compile for your municipality images of what these breweries look like so you can make a direct comparison to what they are versus what building types exist in your area.

Some municipalities, especially ones that formerly housed heavy industry in their downtowns and have left warehouses, etc. in their wake, may actually be zoned as commercial although their aesthetic is more industrial in nature.

Hope this all helps...
            Kevin Shertz
            Chester River Brewing Company
            Chestertown, MD

Comment

Chesterbrew,

Thank you for the information regarding Seattle. I have already been in contact with planning. I need to present a proposal to them as to what I am seeking. That is why I was looking for municipalities which currently allowed something similar.

Pictures would be a great idea as you suggested.

Comment

Flooring

I will be in Seattle this week looking at a bunch of Breweries. If you need any help with coatings we would love to help.

CHEERS!!!

Chris Klein Chris@cascadefloors.com
                www.cascadefloors.com
                Chris Klein
                Cell 541-510-1080
                Office (503) 769-6823
                WWW.CASCADEFLOORS.COM
                chris@cascadefloors.com

Comment

Gbrewing,

I guess I just left a message for you on your facebook page too.

I am in WA state as well and would really like to work together if you are still in the lobbying stage. Or maybe you could share your results with me anyway?

Thanks,
                  Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X