Ranco Controller and Solenoid Valve set up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranco Controller and Solenoid Valve set up

I was hoping someone could describe or show some sort of diagram on how a Ranco controller (or something similar) is paired with a solenoid valve? I'm trying to figure out how they work together to open and close jackets on a fermentation tank. I understand that when a certain temp is reached in the fermentation tank the solenoid valve is told to open or close. Do I basically connect the thermocouple to the Ranco and from the Ranco to the solenoid valve? I also keep looking at pictures of the solenoid valves and I don't see where it gets its power from. Sorry for all the questions. Thanks!

The Ranco will come with wiring diagrams on how to wire it up. Depending on who you buy from you can get prewired or non-wired. Its not hard to do, but if you haven't done it before you may just want to buy the whole assembly. Years back I melted one as new home brewer trying to play electrician, so be careful. I believe you can get the the solenoid prewired to the controller from GW. Kent. You may have to call them though, and it will be the johnson controller.

Basically, the load wire will have the male end that plugs into an outlet. The 120 VAC will be hard wired to the solenoid. You may have to contact the vendor for a wiring diagram for the solenoid. I couldn't find one.

The thermocouple has its own separate connection points and is inserted into the FV thermowell.

If I were you, I would buy at least one all wired up. Then you can see the physical wiring and use that as a starting point. I hope this helped a little.
    Attached Files

Comment

It looks like Mr. 604M is talking about these two items:

http://www.gwkent.com/ranco-temperature-control.html
      http://www.gwkent.com/solenoid-valves-brass.html
      Nat West

Comment

Yes, but I could have sworn you could get those both wired together from GW Kent (ours came with the Johnson A419) But I can't find it on the website.

vvu if you pm me your email, I can try to get you some pictures.

Comment

Careful - right picture, wrong instructions

604M - you are telling him to hook it up wrong. The load always goes to the "load" or device to be ran - in this case the solenoid. The 120 VAC goes to exactly that, a male plug that plugs in the wall to get 120(ish) volts. If he hooked it up as you describe it wouldn't be *that* big of a deal, but it wouldn't work.

Rob

Originally posted by 604M View Post
          The Ranco will come with wiring diagrams on how to wire it up. Depending on who you buy from you can get prewired or non-wired. Its not hard to do, but if you haven't done it before you may just want to buy the whole assembly. Years back I melted one as new home brewer trying to play electrician, so be careful. I believe you can get the the solenoid prewired to the controller from GW. Kent. You may have to call them though, and it will be the johnson controller.

Basically, the load wire will have the male end that plugs into an outlet. The 120 VAC will be hard wired to the solenoid. You may have to contact the vendor for a wiring diagram for the solenoid. I couldn't find one.

The thermocouple has its own separate connection points and is inserted into the FV thermowell.

If I were you, I would buy at least one all wired up. Then you can see the physical wiring and use that as a starting point. I hope this helped a little.

Comment

Originally posted by RobW View Post
            604M - you are telling him to hook it up wrong. The load always goes to the "load" or device to be ran - in this case the solenoid. The 120 VAC goes to exactly that, a male plug that plugs in the wall to get 120(ish) volts. If he hooked it up as you describe it wouldn't be *that* big of a deal, but it wouldn't work.

Rob
            Yes you are right. I wasn't thinking. Good thing I'm not an electrician. Thanks for looking out Rob

Comment

Got it

Thanks everyone! You've all been so helpful.

Comment

Working...
              X