Nitrogen for purging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nitrogen for purging

I rented an N2 generator thinking I could use it for purging/transfers, purging cans. Then tested the DO on it and it's like 400-500ppb. Curious if that's what others are seeing. That seems a little high to me even for pushing beer. What do others think? I'm using the greenair supply N2 generator. I've read the forums a bit, looking for other practical experiences.

I'm interested in this, too. We're contemplating getting one ourselves, but that O2 level is far out of control.
    Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
    Terminal Gravity Brewing,
    Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

Are you getting the same O2 results if using CO2?

Comment

Is that 400-500 ppb what you see in your package, or in the gas itself?
        Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
        Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

The DO is of the gas itself. I didn't even want to put it into the beer, but I guess I will test it.

Comment

We're also looking into an N2 generator. Doing my homework, it looks like 99.5-99.7% N2 purity is the brewing industry standard. I've discussed this with our brewers and they find that acceptable. It's about the same as our beverage-grade CO2.
            Timm Turrentine

Brewerywright,
            Enterprise. Oregon.

Comment

The N2 generator is rated at 99.8 (over lifetime). My CO2 purity seems to be much higher as I get DO measurements on it much lower (under 15 ppb). And so is my nitrogen cylinder. I'm looking into the purity specs on my CO2.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what instrument are you using to measure the O2 levels in these gases?

Comment

Hach Orbisphere.

Comment

N2 is lighter than air. Try purging from the top and out of the bottom.
                    I have never purged with N2 myself but just a thought.

Comment

Most N2 generators only do 99.5% purity under the best case setting, and a lot worse quality at times of big draws. Bottled N2 is typically 99.999%. While not all of the remaining contamination is O2, it likely constitutes the bulk of it.
                      If you are seeing 500 ppb DO, I would say this roughly corresponds to a gas composition of 0.8% O2 (for temperatures between 32 and 40 F). This quality, while worse than typical, it is totally in line with what I would expect.
                      If this looks bad for just pushing beer during transfers, it is actually a lot worse when you are trying to dissolve the gas like during nitrogenation, although that may be a longer topic for discussion elsewhere.
                      Mechanical Engineer, QuantiPerm
                      www.quantiperm.com

Comment

Working...
                      X