Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st time using biofine, process question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1st time using biofine, process question...

I know there is a ton of info on here about various techniques that everyone uses to dose with biofine. My question is in relation to timing... is this something that should be added pre or post carbonation? I understand that co2 bubbling through will help with dispersion so I am thinking about dosing as I'm doing my carbonation routine through carb stone... any words of wisdom out there? Thanks

Add Biofine slowly to the beer stream as it goes into the BBT. Smaller breweries find success with corney keg with required Biofine dose, letting beer fill the corney, shaking to mix, and then pushing out slowly during BBT fill while measuring flow rate with a scale. Easy to get very intimate mixing this way; a key requirement of effective Biofine use. Carbonation should not roll your contents so much, so wouldn't count on that for mixing.
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Sorry I should have been more clear... we use unitanks so will not be transfering to a secondary or Brite..

Comment

Without a transfer to serving tank, you have no good options. Let it clear on its own before serving. Or serve cloudy. Most breweries don't serve from fermenters for good reason.
        Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

We use a centrifugal pump that we attach to our racking arm and bottom valve. After a bit of purging, we recirculate our beer and add an equivalent of biofine inline to the stream of beer. We force carbonate afterwards using the same port, while pumping around. Works pretty okay, we do use quite a bit of the stuff (about 2,5 ml/l) and usually have clear beer in about 4 days.

Good luck.

Comment

Suggest reaching out to Ashton Lewis at BSG. He's got your back on this... alewis@bsgcraftbrewing.com

Comment

I use Biofine (Nalco) and have Unitanks as well. Crash beer to 32F then crop all yeast/hops from bottom of tank and racking arm. I add biofine (Nalco) through 6 inch port on top of Uni while rousting through racking arm with co2. I then start my carbonation. two to three day beer is brightish. Some styles drop super bright others still have slight haze.

Comment

Working...
              X