Pressure guage calibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pressure guage calibration

Other than by buying a $1,000 + calibration kit, how is everyone calibrating their pressure guages from time to time?

Most people don't. If they can read a number, they'll find it easy to believe it--even if it's wrong. And for some reason, many wrongly think that because a gauge is digital, that it is inherently more accurate--they are not. Best way is with a dead-weight tester. Look up homemade designs for this. Another way is with a standard pressure gauge with a higher accuracy class to compare against, or a standard gauge that has been sent out for testing. Also very useful for testing SRVs on tanks. If you're like me, I just care about being close to accurate. Better that you are extremely consistent from batch to batch and adjust recipes/temperatures/pressures very slowly and deliberately. Good luck!
    Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Buy a second (spare) gauge and put it in rotation while your "main" gauge is out for calibration. There are numerous sources that provide mail in calibration services. Here is one: https://www.trescal.us/
      Six Sigma Master Blackbelt - Lean manufacturing expert. Beer production is food manufacturing. Why not do it efficiently!

Comment

So I ended up building a calibration rig. I purchased what is hopefully an accurate gauge to use as a control gauge and built a manifold from scrap pipe fittings. Now I can just attach the gauge I want to test, pressurize the system to the high and low limit that I want to test and compare the reading to the control gauge. This should be accurate enough for what we're doing. I have already found a few gauges that are off by a few PSI.

Comment

Good to hear that this is already paying off. Be sure to put your SRVs on this to make sure they blow properly. First step to making better beer is to gain control of the process! Best of luck.
          Phillip Kelm--Palau Brewing Company Manager--

Comment

Working...
          X