Floorplan feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floorplan feedback

Hi guys, I'm looking for any feedback and criticism you can provide on my floor plan.
    I have a 5bbl brewhouse, 2 10bbl fermenters, n 1 5bbl

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	193966

Get your glycol chiller outside - you don't want the amount of heat that will produce in the building. It will wear out the chiller faster, and you will be amazed how hot it will make the brewery.
    I'd also suggest you move the bathrooms so customers aren't walking through the brewery to get to them. The TTB doesn't like that, and you take a huge liability risk if you have customers in the brewery while you're working.
    I would also suggest you get at least one brite tank for carbing and finishing your beer. You're going to need more storage area for keg, grains etc.
    And finally, from the looks of things you havent left yourself any room to expand in the future. That's never a good idea.
    Manuel

Comment

Originally posted by mmussen View Post
      Get your glycol chiller outside - you don't want the amount of heat that will produce in the building. It will wear out the chiller faster, and you will be amazed how hot it will make the brewery.
      I'd also suggest you move the bathrooms so customers aren't walking through the brewery to get to them. The TTB doesn't like that, and you take a huge liability risk if you have customers in the brewery while you're working.
      I would also suggest you get at least one brite tank for carbing and finishing your beer. You're going to need more storage area for keg, grains etc.
      And finally, from the looks of things you havent left yourself any room to expand in the future. That's never a good idea.
      Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

So I have a 2.5bbl brewing room and tasting room- no canning, bottling, or distribution.

Where's your Merchandise area? It's an important part of your revenue stream if you don't distribute.

I assuming your pushing your beer into kegs. You would be amazed at how much time and square footage kegs take up in the brewery. In the summer if you don't clean the kegs right away they become a fruit fly condo- so outside covered storage is nice to have.

At right at 11 months open- we are investing in serving tanks. I reckon it will save me about 4 hours per beer and it will save about 5% of beer loss.

You didn't leave any room to add more fermenters. We had 4- 3bbl and added 4 more within 6 months.

Definitely invest in a brite tank that will hold your largest fermenter if you plan on kegging. A glycol chilled will save you walk in cooler space but is a lot more expensive.

You need big ass 3 basin sinks, mop sink, get rid of the pilot brew system- that basically what you're brewing.

I order 2 tons a grain at a time typically. One pallet full of specialty grain and the other all 2 row. At a bare minimum you'll need enough room to roll in two pallets of grain.

An outdoor patio is huge in spring, summer, and fall. You can get more seating area and generate more sales.

Mechanical- boiler, tankless?

4 tops take a lot of real estate, you might get more seating out of other options.

I agree on the toilets-closer to the seating and/or entrance.

Jc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        JC McDowell
        Bandit Brewing Co.- 3bbl brewery and growing
        Darby, MT- population 700
        OPENED Black Friday 2014!

Comment

At first glance it seems that there is insufficient room for your brewery.
          I am not a fan of making a showcase out of the brewing area. Especially with the layout you have with a corridor through your production area.
          That whole are should be separate from the public areas of the building.

There is no room to expand in that floor plan. The biggest mistake I have seen over the years is people stuffing a space completely full and immediately regret it because there is no room to grow. If your beer is good then people will want it.
          Are you going to sell all your beer in the pub? If not, then you will want to fill kegs and you need a LOT of room for that operation. Kegs take up a monumental amount of floor space.

A few more observations:
          - Chillers ought to be outside. Compressors inside.
          - Where is the CO2 bulk tank?
          - Where are (is) your bright beer tank?
          - Are you serving right from tanks or kegs?
          - What are you doing with the upstairs? If it's your space then move all non value added activities up there. Like offices. And non essential material storage.
          - Grain is normally shipped by pallet. What is your plan for handling those pallets?

Comment

I agree with all of the above, plus I would ditch those railings. They are going to be in your way when you're trying to work and you will be cussing them in short order.

Comment

Working...
            X